Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Awkward!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ran into a g/f of mine who I haven't spoken to since July of 2010.  We had been best friends for over 10 yrs up until that day in July.

Issue:  She & I were in my car following my DH in his car to where we were celebrating my youngest's son's 3rd b'day.  Her 2 sons (ages 20 & 15) were in a car following us.  DH & I had a deadline to make at the party location in order to maintain our reservation & we were running late, so as a result he was in a hurry (not speeding but not really waiting around either).  I was unsure of how to get their myself so I was keeping up with him & as a result, he son failed to keep up & got lost (on a straight road - go figure!).  Once we arrived my g/f was furious at me & demanded we drive her home immediately.  We thought she was over reacting, afterall her son was no baby, he was a 20 yr old man who had just come home from Navy boot camp.  Unfortunately she was not joking.  DH took her home & she has never spoken to me again.

So today when I arrived at my pediatrician's office, there she was with her now 16 yr old.  She immediately greeted my 5 yr old dd, asked my dd how her brothers were & if she was sick, but not once acknowledged me or even looked me in the face, although I said hi as I walked in.  While waiting in the waiting room, she did everything in her power not look up at me.  She even got on her cellphone, as to avoid being approached.  I was devasted.  I have missed her dearly & thought our friendship was stronger than this crap.

DH says she wasn't a true friend. My mom thinks she has let it go this far for this long & may be too embarassed to admit it & make right.   What do you think about this?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karma729
by Karina-D.R. on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM
Wow that it's over reacting, no I think if she wanted to talk to you she would at least say hi when you did. Oh well her lost.
glamorous_mami
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

mmm...she probably knew she was overreacting & did her best to avoid u.

ctouzet
by Cathy on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Sucks though cause I really enjoyed her friendship & miss her in my life, but I won't beg or plead & I will not apologize for her silliness.

krise
by Christine-Arizona on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

wow... that's ridiculous really... I'm sure she felt like a fool

mami323
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

WOW! HOW OLD IS SHE ??? 15? OH WAIT A MINUTE SHE HAS A 20 YEAR OLD !

elle31106
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM
She knows she over reacted and feels like a fool. She is too embarassed to own up to her bad behavior. Shame on her for not being a better friend and apologizing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami323
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

girl, I understand how u feel though I miss my prima sooo much!! We were sooo close , but haven't talked since last summer , and she made off with alot of my clothes and flowy tops I could have been using now since I am preggo and my favorite DUNKS (my nike's ) . She has taken clothes from me before and knows she's wrong, and she stopped talking to me  to come up on my clothes after texting her put put all my stuff in a big bag for me to pick up when she was living at her moms, I went to my tias after not hearing from her and my tia told me she was gone and moved in w her BF and took everything and did not leave the bag of clothes and my favortie tennis shoes. I can get over the clothes and my fav. shoes , my sister ended up giving me her's we bought the same dunks on the same day anyway. But I'm not gonna go kissing her ass either !!

LuLu5J
by Lourdes-PR on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Wow, how childish!! Honestly, if it were me I would talk to her and ask her directly how she feels and whether she thinks your friendship is worth saving.  Let her know that you have moved on.  Maybe she realizes how ridiculous she was acting but now she has let it go too far and it's become a bigger deal than she meant for it to be and she feels she can't undo everything.

ctouzet
by Cathy on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

My thoughts exactly.  I have ran the idea of reaching out to her over & over in my mind.  I think of emailing her, calling her, writing her a letter with one of those hallmark cards that say it well, but I stop myself because I still feel she was ridiculous & if she goes into the drama again about how she feels I was wrong, I may need to tell her about herself & I don't want to go there.  I won't apologize, nor take the blame & more importantly I really don't need to hear it from her either.  I just want my friend back  :(

Quoting LuLu5J:

Wow, how childish!! Honestly, if it were me I would talk to her and ask her directly how she feels and whether she thinks your friendship is worth saving.  Let her know that you have moved on.  Maybe she realizes how ridiculous she was acting but now she has let it go too far and it's become a bigger deal than she meant for it to be and she feels she can't undo everything.

sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I agree with your dh. I'm sorry, but to hold a grudge over something so silly that happened to her 20 year old son is really petty.  It's not worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)