Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello~Hola!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just wanted to say hello and give a short introduction about myself.  My name is Tanya and I have lived in Brooklyn, NY all my life.  Both of my parents are from Puerto Rico.  Although they were born there they came to the USA at a very young age and assimilated to the American culture.  Unfortunately, in my house we didn't speak spanish.  The only Spanish that was spoken was when I went to Abuela's house.  I have to tell you I was fluent when I was younger, but since the passing of Abuela I do not speak spanish well.  I understand it, but when I open my mouth I sound like a Gringa.  Don't know if I spelled that right!lol

Anyway, I been married for 23yrs to a Puerto Rican man who speaks a little spanish.  I have a special needs son with autism and so learning one language was hard enough imagine trying to learn another?

I am a special education teacher at a middle school.  I love teaching and right now I am enjoying my vacation.  I have written several books in the Christian circles.  I love crafts such as crochet, paper quilling and scrapbooking and love photography.  Writing is a passion of mine.  My husband and I are both pastors and tomorrow I go to Mexico on a missions trip. 

I am proud of being a Latina.  Although at times I am mistaken for a Arab or Egyptian woman.  I didn't understand this, because if you look at me you know that I am Latina.  Funny thing is that my ancestors may have come from Egypt.  I went to Egypt in 2009 on a Missions trip and OMG I did look like them and they looked like me.  It's a small world.

Tanya:)

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
HeartCharmMama
by Ing-Pura Latina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Welcome, Tanya!! Be careful when you go to Mexico.

elle31106
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Hi Tanya and welcome. My name is Elle. I am a SAHM of 3 boys ages 20, 17 and 6. I am also the parent of a Special Needs child, as my youngest has C-ACC.

I am of Spanish and Mexican descent born here in the USA. My spanish is limited as well, especially since I lived in Europe as a child and had to learn languages there, of which those are limited too....lol

I have a general interest in photography but am not very good at it, but I do love to scrapbook and I make personalized greeting cards and paper goods such as invitations, programs etc... for special occasions and events.

Welcome again, I hope you enjoy it here. There are some amazing women that post in ML.

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Welcome to the group, Tanya!!
And yes, like Ingrid said, be careful in Mexico!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Welcome to Mamas Latinas. Wow a mission trip to MExico sounds awesome, have fun and be safe :)

krise
by Christine-Arizona on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

hello and welcome!

marlene992
by Marlene-Cubantina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Welcome (Bienvenida) lol just a little help in learning lol! Its a pleasure to have you in our group! You will enjoy yourself. Feel free to chat with all of us we are happy you joined. My name is Marlene & im a working Mom of 3yr old DD and I have older children (well adults lol) my DS are 19 and 21yrs old

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM
Hi welcome to the group!My name is Ana I'm a married sahm my kids are 8,6yrs old and I have a 9 month old baby.

My mom goes to Missionaries in Mexico all the time. Have fun and stay safe. What books have you written? If you don't mind me asking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstrendygirl
by Irene-Mexicana on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM

hello and welcome to the group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)