Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Gunman at Virginia Tech

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
I just saw late breaking news that a gunman is on the campus at Virginia Tech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
krise
by Christine-Arizona on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM
again! Off to read msn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Yeah again that's crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLu5J
by Lourdes-PR on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

WTH?!  That's ridiculous!

I can't believe this.  I have a few friends who attended there.

elle31106
by Elle-Mexicana on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Virginia Tech lockdown as possible gunman hunted

AFPAFP - 31 mins ago

Related Content

• Virginia State Police stand guard outside Norris Hall on the campus of Virginia Tech in April 2007, a day after 31 people were shot and killed. Virginia Tech university was on lockdown Thursday after a man possibly carrying a handgun was spotted on the campus

Virginia State Police stand guard outside Norris Hall on the campus of Virginia Tech ...

• Virginia Tech students walk to classes in 2007, following a ceremony paying tribute to the university's 32 shooting victims. Officials at Virginia Tech locked down the campus on Thursday after reports of a person with a gun on campus

Virginia Tech students walk to classes in 2007, following a ceremony paying tribute ...

Virginia Tech university, scene of the worst school shooting in US history, was on lockdown Thursday after a man possibly carrying a handgun was spotted on the campus.

So far, police have not found anyone matching the description given by three youths, who were attending a camp at the university in Blacksburg, Virginia, but were still patrolling the campus in search of the man.

"The alert is still in effect," Wendell Flinchum, the university's police chief told reporters, adding no one was yet under arrest.

"The alert that went out asked people to go inside, secure themselves until further notice and that's what we're still asking people to do."

Four years after 32 people were gunned down in a horrific shooting spree by a South Korean student, the campus was once again on lockdown.

The university said in a bulletin on its website that at 9:09 am (1309 GMT), the three youths saw a "white male, six feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun."

"They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort," the statement said, adding the suspect was wearing a shirt with blue and white vertical stripes, gray shorts and brown sandals.

"People on campus stay indoors until further notice," the university added on its website.

"Officers responded immediately to the area but found no one matching the description. Police have encountered no other witnesses reporting this individual or anything suspicious," the university said.

Assistant Vice President Larry Hincker said there were probably several thousand people on campus as there were several summer camps taking place.

"There are a large number of students," Flinchum added. "I don't want to say is it any easier given the fact that you don't have 30,000 kids roaming campus? I mean is this a little easier to get workers corralled in the building versus a bunch of students."

He said some people had already been stopped and questioned "and they were ruled out and we have not found the person matching the description that was given."

Memories are still fresh here of the 2007 massacre when Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student born in South Korea, shot to death 32 fellow classmates and teachers before killing himself.

University officials came under heavy criticism at the time for failing to alert students early enough to the fact that a gunman was loose on the campus, after he first shot two students and then a few hours later unleashed a larger shooting spree in a classroom.

The university was fined $55,000 in relation to the April 16, 2007 incident for failing to alert students in time to the gunman.

But student Kelsey Heiter told CNN she had had no hesitation in joining the university despite the shooting.

"It still hits close to home, but at the same time we have received the same kind of updates that we are now... Today we have a better system. More updated," she said.

"People are receiving news a lot faster than they were then and the good thing is that I have not heard any reported incidents of anyone being hurt or injured or anything of that nature.

"I love Virginia Tech and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world," she said, adding the" campus is very safe."

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Thsnks elle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Christine-Arizona on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

WOW.

elle31106
by Elle-Mexicana on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

You're welcome. I had been reading it when you posted. So scary.

Quoting kgmmw:

Thsnks elle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN