• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State Bans Elective Inductions and C-Sections! Victory!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

State Bans Elective Inductions and C-Sections! Victory!

Posted by Jacqueline Burt
on August 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

cesarean sectionGood news for babies in Oregon: On September 1, the state will become the latest in the country to enforce a "hard stop" on elective, non-medically necessary inductions and cesarean sections before 39 weeks. Of course, moms-to-be who want to schedule their deliveries early for the sake of convenience (or to ensure that their own doctor will be available) probably won't think this is great news.

Maybe that's because they don't fully grasp how huge the benefits of staying in the womb for an extra week or two are for babies.

Research has shown that babies' brains, livers, and lungs make significant developments during the final stretch of pregnancy (weeks 39 to 40, roughly). Technically, a baby is considered "full-term" at 37 weeks, but the more time they get to "cook," the better.

Naturally, that's assuming both baby and mom are in good health. There are circumstances where inductions and elective c-sections are, in fact, medically necessary. But this change in hospital policy doesn't affect non-elective procedures, so any concern over women being denied intervention that they actually need is unwarranted. Another falsely held belief is that early inductions aren't as extreme as early elective c-sections. Part of the reason why cesarean rates in this country have been skyrocketing is because inductions often turn into c-sections. (When your body's not ready, it's not ready!)

Babies who are born early, by the way, are at a greater risk of developing respiratory and feeding problems, as well as being re-admitted to the hospital for "failure to thrive."

It bothers me that the practice of early inductions and c-sections was ever this widespread to begin with, but hopefully things are starting to turn around ...

Do you agree with Oregon's decision to stop elective, non-medically necessary inductions and c-sections?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM
No.
A woman should be able to choose what is best her child AS WELL AS HER.

Personally, I'd NEVER choose to be induced or have a ce section out of convenience. Emma was in me 40 weeks, 1 day. I HAD to be induced due to her not having enough of that fluid in there, but I was at 40 weeks. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM
But again, it should be a personal choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM
I think it should be a personal choice.
I had one at 34 weeks 2nd at 37 and 3rd at 38 weeks. Not by choice but because I went into preterm labor with all 3 and even with shots to stop it they just came. All three were healthy thriving babies who never had feeding problems or any other major health problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I agree with the other two posters that it should be a choice 

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM
I don't understand...are women choosing to do these procedures just because they want their babies early? And their doctors are doing it for them? Just because?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karma729
by Karina-D.R. on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM
I think if it's necessary for the woman to have a csection due to a health problem than ok. But just because, I don't think it's ok. But that's a personal choice and that's my personal opinion.
HeartCharmMama
by Ing-Pura Latina on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I agree with Kari. If a woman is doing it just for convenience, I personally don't believe it's okay, ethically and physically (for both baby and mom).

But if it is potentially going to do harm to a baby and mother still elects to do so, then I believe the process should be more difficult, then maybe mothers can think twice about electing to do an early c-section, just because.

I think it's wrong for anyone, aside from the doctor and patient, to outright intervene on someone's choice for a medical procedure. Ultimately, the principle is your body, your choice.

BUT, as I stated, if regulations are strict and moms have to jump through hoops, then maybe they'll change their mind.

Ngelulu
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM
I think if it's medically neccessary then it's alright. But idk I've heard of some women getting a c-section only so that their baby will be born before their planned scheduled vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)