Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone do a "courtesy wave" when they drive?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: When someone is courteous to you in traffic, do you give them a courtesy wave?

Options:

Yes, always.

Sometimes.

Never

Don't know what a courtesy wave is.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

A courtesy wave is when you are driving (or a pedestrian) and if a driver who has the right-of-way lets you pass (or cross the street) for whatever reason, you wave at them (which means you're thanking them) and keep driving (or walking).

When I was in San Diego a few years ago, my friend let a man pass in front of her and he didn't give a courtesy wave and we were surprised! lol.

If I am waiting to cross a street but would rather have a car go ahead, the driver 100% of the the time gives me the courtesy wave, or in very rare occasions, a nod for acknowledgment.

So let's be honest, do you do it? Have you heard of it?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLu5J
by Lourdes-PR on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I do it all the time even though I live in a big city.  It's a habit I got into bc I was born and raised in a small town and everyone waved to each other for everything, even just to say hi.

I get pissed if I give someone the right of way and they don't do it back, so does dh.  We think it's rude.

elle31106
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I always always always give a courtesy wave and to be quite honestly, I expect one when I am the courteous one. In Texas it is natural to do so. Not to do so is the exception and height of rudeness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I do it all the time

HeartCharmMama
by Ing-Pura Latina on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Lulu and Elle, that's how we get. We get offended when someone fails to wave. I believe we were taught to do that in driver's ed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karma729
by Karina-D.R. on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

oh, i get those once in a while...

karma729
by Karina-D.R. on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

100% agree with you!!!! 

Quoting elle31106:

I always always always give a courtesy wave and to be quite honestly, I expect one when I am the courteous one. In Texas it is natural to do so. Not to do so is the exception and height of rudeness.

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I always give a courtesy wave! I think it's very nice of them when they actually let me pass.  So many people, especially in Europe WILL NOT let you pass!

BellaTragedia
by Roxana-Mexicana on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting elle31106:

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

yes maam I do every time

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I even say "Thank You" outloud as if they can hear me lol just a habit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)