Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Top 10 Crossover Holiday Traditions

By UnknownMami on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM

When contemplating how to navigate the holidays and infuse some of my Latino background into our celebrations, it occurred to me that my non-Latino husband and I actually share a lot of common ground. Here's a list of our top 10 crossover holiday traditions.

10. Gluttony on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving seems to be one of the only times that public gluttony is not only tolerated, but actually encouraged, elastic waistbands are celebrated, and belts are shunned.

9. A penchant for eggy drinks. My husband likes eggnog, but I bet you that as soon as I introduce him to Rompope with it's kick of alcohol he will like it as much as I do.

8. Wearing ugly holiday sweaters ironically (because they are silly and we are way too cool for that), except we're not really being ironic.

7. Going to see homes that have been decorated for the holidays. I used to love to do this as a child and I still do. I feel like the people who decorate their homes are giving a gift to anyone that passes by.

6. Getting a Christmas tree and decorating it together.

5. Wishing that Santa Claus were real.

4. Waiting until the last possible moment (just in case Santa Claus is real) to do our  Christmas shopping.

3. Sending out  "Christmas" cards so late that they become New Year's cards.

2. Missing or wanting to be with our extended family even though they drive us bonkers.

And our #1 crossover holiday tradition is:

Bickering. I don't care what your cultural background is, it just wouldn't be the holidays without a little behind-the-scenes bickering. I intend to add a little Latino flair by bickering in Spanglish.

What are some of your holiday traditions with crossover appeal?

UnknownMami About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • LaliQuin
  • by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • Great post!  You always manage to put a smile on my face :)

I think  4 3 2 & 1 are my absolute faves!  

• Quote Reply
  • perudelights
  • by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM
  •  

I will gladly share the Rompope, and make a tour to see decorated homes, ready for the holidays.

• Quote Reply
  • tettelestai
  • by New Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:47 AM
  • This is a great list!!  I love your crossover list!  We all aren't so different around the world, are we?  I can totally jive with that list.  And why can't Santa bring the presents!!  Where is the Santa for adults!!!!

• Quote Reply
  • TheBipolarDiva
  • by New Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM
  • Holiday traditions are incredible memories! I've started one in that I have all the grandkids over to decorate the tree by themselves. All the decorations end up in one space about 3 feet from the ground, but that's ok. They're proud of themselves!

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN