Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving Whirlwind

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

I am tired. Wait, that is a lie. Tired is a massive understatement. I am suffering from a holiday hangover. Our trip to my hometown was a whirlwind. The Thanksgiving I envisioned turned out much different than the one we experienced.

We had plenty of fun. I took the kids to the movies for the first time, we saw Santa, and visited a ton of family members we hadn't seen for far too long. My son was too distracted by the excitement of new relatives and the fantastic gifts he received to notice his father's absence. He asked for him at night but seemed to understand when I told him Daddy wouldn't be back for a few days. I was thankful for that.

My daughter is a completely different story. She cried and screamed a shrill ear piercing scream off and on all week long. She was having tummy issues and missed her Daddy terribly. She would wake up in the middle of the night and ask me for him. Whenever she saw our car she expected her "Dadda" to appear. It was heartbreaking and tiring.

Cooking, taking pictures, and visiting family proved to be more challenging than I had anticipated. My mother helped as much as she could but it breaks my heart to hear my daughter cry. My camera, Thanksgiving side dishes, and plans with friends were pushed aside. I was disappointed.

I have never been this far away from my family and I was sure that six days would be more than enough time to eat, drink, and be merry with my loved ones. It wasn't but the disappointment didn't last long. Our intimate Thanksgiving was perfect. The kids played happily while my mother, sister, and I took our time preparing the meal. It wasn't a fancy affair and I do not have photographic documentation however I enjoyed myself.

It was nice to catch up and kick back without worrying about buckling the kids in their car seats and rushing from house to house. Instead we stayed in and the parties came to us. My stepmother, half sister and brother came over. The kids were overjoyed. My son loves to see his ten year old uncle. He thinks he is the coolest. 

We didn't get a chance to visit the fire station or take pictures at city hall with Abuelo the Mayor. Instead my father and his girlfriend watched the kids and showered them with gifts while my husband and I enjoyed our first date night alone in a year ( perhaps, I can't remember). It was nice to reconnect after his five day absence.

We strayed from my dream itinerary, missed a few parties, and didn't get to hug a few friends but we had a wonderful time. I am thankful for each minute I spent with my family. I truly enjoyed sharing my family traditions with my kids. I love hearing my son speak a little Spanish and watching him enjoy the same Dominican food I did during my childhood. I can't wait to do it again next year.

How was your Thanksgiving? Did everything go as planned? If not did you embrace the change?

by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamabmy
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

You have thee cutest kids. I'm suffering from holiday hangover too. I'm so glad you had a good time with your family and really hope you enjoyed your date night! 

babydickey
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Aww, I'm sorry your baby girl wasn't up for the Thanksgiving festivities! I know how hard that is. We were so busy that I didn't get ANY pictures of Ryan in his super cute Thanksgiving outfit :(

Jealous you got a date night, we need one! And how'd your kids do at the movie?! I'd love to take Ryan, but I think it'd be a disaster lol.

MayhemMatriarch
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Gah, they're gorgeous! How did the movies go? The boys still haven't been {because they're crazy}. Our Thanksgiving went well, except that we were sick, but like you we just rolled with the punches and it turned out extraordinary. 

★★Wife to Christian & Mom of FOUR★★
Samara Elise Alexandrea 12.31.03
 Caesar Noel 08.29.2006
Mercutio Anthony 05.05.2008 Severus Danger 10.10.2010
Stalk: BLOG|PHOTOS|TUMBLR|TWITTER

Munchkin6508
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Our Holiday didn't go anything like we planned. But that's alright because I at least had the husband and kids, even if we didn't see the rest of our family. I'm sorry that your daughter missed daddy. That can always be hard. 

Ps- They are so freaking CUTE!

motherese
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Good for you for finding a way to enjoy yourself even though your trip didn't exactly go according to plan.  My kids teach me every day that my plans rarely work out. :)

Our Thanksgiving celebrations were very small and local so we actually ended up getting a lot of relaxing down time.  For Christmas, we'll be driving 12 hours to visit my family.  I have a feeling it won't be quite as relaxing...

crunchyvtmommy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Quoting Mamabmy:

You have thee cutest kids. I'm suffering from holiday hangover too. I'm so glad you had a good time with your family and really hope you enjoyed your date night! 

You've been on the go all season.  I know you understand : )

crunchyvtmommy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Quoting babydickey:

Aww, I'm sorry your baby girl wasn't up for the Thanksgiving festivities! I know how hard that is. We were so busy that I didn't get ANY pictures of Ryan in his super cute Thanksgiving outfit :(

Jealous you got a date night, we need one! And how'd your kids do at the movie?! I'd love to take Ryan, but I think it'd be a disaster lol.

Awww I wouldve loved to see the little guy. P and C LOVED the movie. Try Arthur it isnt that long and they are so interested in the giant screen they dont want to run around lol

crunchyvtmommy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quoting MayhemMatriarch:

Gah, they're gorgeous! How did the movies go? The boys still haven't been {because they're crazy}. Our Thanksgiving went well, except that we were sick, but like you we just rolled with the punches and it turned out extraordinary. 

Thank you and I hope they/you are feeling better! GO! The boys will love it. The giant screen totally holds their attention.

crunchyvtmommy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Quoting Munchkin6508:

Our Holiday didn't go anything like we planned. But that's alright because I at least had the husband and kids, even if we didn't see the rest of our family. I'm sorry that your daughter missed daddy. That can always be hard. 

Ps- They are so freaking CUTE!

Thanks love. I hear you it can be so hard when it doesn't live up to our expectations.

crunchyvtmommy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Quoting motherese:

Good for you for finding a way to enjoy yourself even though your trip didn't exactly go according to plan.  My kids teach me every day that my plans rarely work out. :)

Our Thanksgiving celebrations were very small and local so we actually ended up getting a lot of relaxing down time.  For Christmas, we'll be driving 12 hours to visit my family.  I have a feeling it won't be quite as relaxing...

O M G 12 hours! Glad you got that downtime in AND I wont be complaing about our 4 hour drive now : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)