Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Christmas Gifts for Old People

Although we have yet to see snow there is a definite chill in the air. Christmas tunes are on the radio and Pweezy has already met two different mall Santas. The time is near and there is no denying it. It is time to start thinking about gifts.

We have about eighteen months left of graduate student living ahead of us. It is important that we are careful with our money. This Christmas is going to be different thanthose of past years. We have no budget for frivolity or indulgence. Boo. Mommy could always use a new purse but I can wait a few more months.

My husband and I love giving each other gifts. Who doesn't? Even with our current budget constraints there is no way we can not give each other anything. We decided that this year our gifts had to be practical. Very practical. No surprises or extravagance this year. We discussed what we needed ahead of time and even shopped together for our first joint gift.

We headed to Sears and bought (no laughing) a new set of sheets. This might sound completely lame and mundane to everyone else in the universe but let me tell you something: We are psyched. It has been over two years since we have splurged on new bedding. Every time we consider it we remember that we have two small children that do all sorts of gross kid stuff in our bed and we quickly change our minds.

Our oldest child is two years old and sleeps alone in his room for most of the evening and our youngest is fourteen months and hasn't pooped the bed since she was a newborn. It was time. We picked out a three hundred thread count Premier Comfort Cotton Cool Sleep White King Sheet Set. We laughed and joked about our new gift. What kind of sick people get this excited over new sheets!?!

We do! Although we don't have any disposable income this year we have on unique thing: time. Neither my husband nor I have to work during the holidays and he has a few weeks off from school. We have time together as a family. It sounds cliché but it is the best gift I could ask for.

I have no idea where this journey is taking us and what the future holds. We may never have this much free time together as a family once our career and academic obligations are in full swing. I intend to enjoy this time and my lame old person gift of sheets will help because you better believe I plan on taking full advantage of this school break by catching up on sleep.

Enjoying our new sheets. This is a snapshot of what I have to look forward tp during my husband's holiday break. I can't wait.

What is your familly's traditional gift giving style? Are you honoring it this year or doing something different like us?

crunchyvtmommy About :
Replies (41-50):
  • LMJ1
  • by Lluvia-Mexicana on Dec. 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM
  • Oooohhh I love me some new sheets!!

We have no tradition in particular. I buy my own gift and he buys his own. I'm a SAHM, so it would be silly to buy a gift with the money he brings so we just go out shopping and pamper ourselves.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
  • motherese
  • by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM
  • That doesn't sound lame to me at all! I think you'll enjoy your sheets - and definitely your time together - more than a new purse any day. 

• Quote Reply
  • N.Venegas
  • by Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM
  • this year we're giving pretty glasses with candy inside all wrapped and pretty at least everyone gets a gift and no one is going home empty handed but we did by gifts for all the little ones.

• Quote Reply
  • katyuska
  • by Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM
  • we usually do it the tradiotional way to give the gifts, but this time we would like to have a gift exchange between us and other family members.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN