Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher charged with giving a student the 'morning after pill'.....

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 16 Replies

Former AISD teacher charged with giving student 'morning after pill'

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/282940/former-aisd-teacher-charged-with-giving-student--morning-after-pil

A former teacher with the Austin Independent School district is facing a felony criminal charge after being accused of providing a student with a "morning after pill."

AISD police said 32-year-old Tracy Lee Steinberg was a math teacher and volleyball coach at LBJ High School before resigning last week amidst accusations that she had provided a 16-year-old student with Levonorgestral, an emergency contraceptive commonly known as the "morning after pill."

According to the affidavit, a 16-year-old girl in Steinberg's class told the former teacher that she recently had unprotected sex and was worried about pregnancy.

Investigators said Steinberg offered to help by getting her the emergency contraceptive and that Steinberg then took money from the teen and returned with two pills.

"I think that most individuals will think that the teacher was trying to do something helpful," Captain Eric Mendez with AISD police said. "In actuality, it is a prescription drug and it is a prescription for a reason."

Police said the teenager became concerned when she began experiencing side effects from the pill. She told her mother who then contacted school officials.

According to AISD police, Steinberg resigned from her position last Wednesday and turned herself into police today. She faces a charge of "delivery of a dangerous drug," a state jail felony.

What are your thoughts on this situation ladies?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mytrueloveS
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Teachers should never get involved, that's the parent's responsibility.  

BellaTragedia
by Roxana-Mexicana on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I think alot of the times teachers want to be there for their students and be the "cool" teacher. But in this case the teacher should have encouraged the student to talk to her parents. As with any medication, adverse reactions can occur; this medication is a prescription for a reason. I feel this teacher may have had good intentions but unfortunately the outcome was not so.

mytrueloveS
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I'm starting to believe teachers should never get involved with student's personal business.  They should send the student to the councelor's office whenever a personal problem arises.  Teachers should stick to the material and teach.  Now a days people are too sensitive and take things the wrong way.  

BellaTragedia
by Roxana-Mexicana on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

In this case yes, she should have encouraged her to talk to someone, and not taken it into her own hands.

Quoting mytrueloveS:

I'm starting to believe teachers should never get involved with student's personal business.  They should send the student to the councelor's office whenever a personal problem arises.  Teachers should stick to the material and teach.  Now a days people are too sensitive and take things the wrong way.  

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I saw this last night. I feel bad for the teacher, but at the same time she should have told the girl to talk to her parents. I feel like the girl is being made out to be innocent.She's not. She's the one who got herself into this predicament. Ayayay. 

Quoting BellaTragedia:

I think alot of the times teachers want to be there for their students and be the "cool" teacher. But in this case the teacher should have encouraged the student to talk to her parents. As with any medication, adverse reactions can occur; this medication is a prescription for a reason. I feel this teacher may have had good intentions but unfortunately the outcome was not so.

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Totally agree

Quoting mytrueloveS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katirya
by jenny-lanenaboricua on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

but not all kids trust their parents and some parents don't give a crap about their kids and some are usually not home because they prefer work than to be with their kids so i see it both ways and to tell you the truth i see soo many kids around where i live and their mother are not usually home and some don't give a crap

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
My goodness!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyRain
by Reyna on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM

This

Quoting mytrueloveS:

mstrendygirl
by Irene-Mexicana on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Wow thats crazy i agree the teacher should of known better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)