Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Great advice!!! Just stop saturating me with it!!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM
  • 40 Replies

Hi! So I'm Peruvian.. just gave birth to my first baby about a month ago & i'm going insane. I live with my parents & sister (who has 3 kids) and of course EVERYONE wants to tell me what to do with my son. Whether it's the way i burp him, or feed him, put him to sleep, what he wears.. I mean it's everything!! They always have something to say & a way to "nicely" tell me i'm messing up. As if 3 people weren't enough, my mom babysits my brother's baby so when he drops off & picks up my nephew i hear crap from him too! Now, i always criticised my sister for saying "my kids-my problem" rudely to my parents because yess.. yess.. they just wanna help, but now that it's my turn & feel this immense urge to be even more rude. Any tips on handling this so that they understand & back off without causing WW3? Thanksss

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I would talk to your parents and kindly ask them to back off. Tell them you have seen your sisters kids get burped,changed etc and that you have the basics common sense down. Parenting is a learning process just like it was for them and your sister. And tell your sister that she out of all people need to let you be, remind her of her rude ways towards your parents. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I agree I would tell them to leave you alone that you appreciate their help but that you can do it by yourself.

Quoting ana326:

I would talk to your parents and kindly ask them to back off. Tell them you have seen your sisters kids get burped,changed etc and that you have the basics common sense down. Parenting is a learning process just like it was for them and your sister. And tell your sister that she out of all people need to let you be, remind her of her rude ways towards your parents. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I  agree too with the previous advice. the best thing to do is nicely turn down their advice.

mstrendygirl
by Irene-Mexicana on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

yes what they said

Quoting kgmmw:

I agree I would tell them to leave you alone that you appreciate their help but that you can do it by yourself.

Quoting ana326:

twobells
by Orfelinda on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I appreciated everyone's help and advice, but right now I am going to try it my way. If at any point and time I need your help/advice I will ask you.

Just say it nicely, so when you do need their help they are ready to help.

RainyRain
by Reyna on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Welcome to motherhood, my oldest is Five and I still hear "advises" on how to raise my boys. I don't know why people do that. =/

Don't take it personally, I am sure they don't mean it in a bad way. I use to get more advises when my boys where infants. At times I would get irritated but I have learned to pretend to listen, say thanks and carry on with my own parenting skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Vane on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:47 AM
2 moms liked this
This is why I could never live with my mom....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM

The "advice" and "suggestions" never stop.

karladiego
by Karla on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM

In my case my aunts did that, I told them that I needed to learn by myself and that if I needed any help or had any doubt I would ask for it (it was kind of a nice way to say back the hell off lol) But I agree with the other ladies here, the advice and the "suggestions" will not end and the fact that you're a first time mom makes you the "perfect victim" for it....it sucks, but you can be direct without being insulting and just tell them to back off, it IS your kid.

Hesmynavyman
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

You need to let them know that yes your understand they are just trying to help! But this is YOUR baby and your going to do what you want and they need to back off! Thanks! And ignore them and do what you want! That will show them that "Obviously she wants what she wants to do! Hope that helps :)baby in sling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)