• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Mistake' Worth 2 Million Dollars

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

Woman Wins Lottery Twice by Accident -- Let's All Learn From Her Mistake!

Posted by Jeanne Sager

powerballI don't know about you but, thanks to two-time lottery winner Virginia Fike, I'm feeling a whole lot better about being a bonehead today. We have all been there. You make a mistake so dumb you feel like throwing your hands up, crawling back into bed, and pulling the covers up over your face so you don't have to actually look at anyone.

But did you hear what happened to Fike? She won $1 million. Twice. All because she made a mistake! You know there's a good story behind this one.

Turns out Fike meant to buy one Powerball ticket and another for the Mega Millions. Makes sense, right? You diversify your spending to try to up your chances to win? Only the Virginia woman accidentally bought two Powerball tickets. That kept her out of the drawing for that ginormous $640 million Mega Millions jackpot that everyone's been fighting over in the news lately. Bummer, right?

Buuuuuuut remember those two Powerball tickets? Yeah, she had five out of the six numbers on each ticket. So she won the lottery. Twice.

Say it with me now y'all: how do I learn how to make mistakes like this? Usually my flubs stay that way. The best screw-up I made recently was accidentally buying swirled chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet ... and realizing they are seriously the bomb diggity in this new whiskey chocolate chip cookie recipe I was trying out. I guess that's better than forgetting to buy chips at all when I had cookies to make ...

See what I did there? I just made the best of a bad situation. Kind of like Virginia Fike. No more crawling under the covers for me. No sirree! Life is looking up.

If Virginia Fike can turn a boneheaded blunder into a $2 million windfall, who knows what I can do next?

Have you ever had a Virginia Fike-like screw-up that ended serendipitously? What was your best one?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karladiego
by Karla on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I will have to say my worst screw-up was getting involved with my ex, the greatest thing that came out of it was my son...the only good thing that came out of that relationship.

NADIA-R
by NADIA on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

wow nice mistake I want to make one mistake like that LOL

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Well hot diggity dog that's insane
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

That's pretty lucky. I'm still waiting for my big win.

twobells
by Orfelinda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

No big mistake here. But I would love to make this mistake and hit it big.

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Wishing I made 2million dollar mistakes like that. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstrendygirl
by Irene-Mexicana on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

wow

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

No I can't think of a mistake like that, that I have made.

But hell at least she has 2 million dollars!!!

RainyRain
by Reyna on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Me too.

Quoting NADIA-R:

wow nice mistake I want to make one mistake like that LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Christine-Arizona on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Wowsa!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)