Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Latinas just plain ol DRESS BETTER...

Posted by   + Show Post

Im a 25 year old black woman who is the mother of a one year old baby. Usually I run around in a robe, but I recently started dressing a lot better. Buying the right things and doing makeup and whatnot. wearing dresses instead of jeans.

My mom goes, "where are you going?? why do you have a dress on?"

I reply, "I'm gonna stop dressing like a raggamuffin and start dressing like a mexican (woman)."

Was I being racist? it just kinda flew out of my mouth, but I think I'm right. Even fugly latinas sometimes look better than my ass....

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Replies (11-19):
dinahrp
by Dinah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I love you for that comment, I laughed and then I showed my mother.  I'm a Latina and a lot of my non-hispanic friends say I don't look nor dress like a mother of 4.  My kids tell me I don't look like their friends moms.  I think that Latin women have a lot of confidence and body shape nor size matters.  Sexy is an attitude. 

dinahrp
by Dinah on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

BUMP!

PortiaRose
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisMommy4Ever
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Eh..whatever lol. I don't really dress up. I'm 21 and even though I like how some girls dress...it's just not me. I'm more of a skinny jeans...vans shoes and hoodie sweater. :) but I always do my hair and put makeup on. If I go to get my WIC or go wash my clothes I dont dress up...

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on May. 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM
At least you care about how you look
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmomplus4
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Like many of you that have an hispanic mom,  I was taught you don't leave the house until you look like if you were going to church and to this day I still do.  When you look great and you take the time to take care of you, you feel great and that type of confidence is what you want to make sure your kids take after

Reina13
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. I was raised to never leave the house looking less than perfection. By that I mean, my clothes need to be cleaned, ironed and nice. My hair needs to be done, my makeup needs to enhance but not look like a drag queen did it, my shoes need to be cleaned, nails trimmed and neat.

One of my favorite quotes was by a football player who played for the San Francisco 49ers in the 90s. He said  'If you look good,  you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good'. I apply that  quote to my own life but changed the word 'play' to the word 'work'.

I think your personal appearance has alot to do with your confidence level.

Quoting aidenmomplus4:

Like many of you that have an hispanic mom,  I was taught you don't leave the house until you look like if you were going to church and to this day I still do.  When you look great and you take the time to take care of you, you feel great and that type of confidence is what you want to make sure your kids take after

Supervane
by Vane on May. 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

In my culture there is a word for women who dont take care of themselves - "FODONGA" Its a very awful word and no respectable woman wants to be called that its like calling someone a dirty whore! Its super offensive!

I was brought up to you wake up you get dressed going out or not - and my daughter will be brought up the same way.  We don't always go all out in what we wear, but we are always dressed, hair done, me some make up on (I dont need a lot). Even if its just to clean I will be fully dressed. I'm very anti frumpy probably has to do with the way I was raised. The only time you will see me in sweats, yoga pants, or pjs is if 1 - Its time for bed, 2- I just got done working out, 3- My house caught on fire and this is what I was wearing.

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on May. 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

LOL why thank you for the compliment! I was always raised to ONLY leave the house looking presentable. Not to be dressed up but look nice and put together. I personally like to dress up though so I do most of the time when I go out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN