Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Talking Politics

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

My oldest son likes to talk about politics all the time.  We do not agree on most everything and end up spending the day arguing. He only visits about once every two weeks and I feel we should spend it talking about more pleasant things. No matter what the topic is it ends up back to politics. At times I feel like he does it on purpose just to annoy me. He even texts me things that are just coming out in the news just to see if I want to debate it with him.

I know he is a man with his own views now. I just want a nice visit with him. He knows how to push my buttons. I am now going to ignore him when he brings up certain things. I think when he is on his way home I am going to text him NO POLITICS TODAY!  Do you all think this is rude of me? 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
karladiego
by Karla on May. 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

This is why people always say politics and religion are a no-no at a party or family gathering. Sounds to me he is the kind of guy that thinks his point of view is the only truth?? Like most men lol. It wouldn't be rude of you to tell him no politics, when you argue and not discuss then I agree with you, no politics in the house.

This is why I always tell people when they start with religious or politics debates that if you can't discuss and agree to disagree then those matters shouldn't be touched.

Reina13
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I don't think it is rude to want to spend time with your son without it ending in an agrument.

Supervane
by Vane on May. 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

maybe he thinks its the only thing he can talk to you about

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on May. 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

It's not rude.  My brother is a Jehovah's Witness and is always on our case because we are not on the "right path to God."  His way is the only way, and we always end up arguing and angry during family gatherings.  We've asked him to please stop the judgment and criticism, and his response is, "why, truth is uncomfortable, huh?"  What's worse, when we give him good factual reasons why we do not join his church he blows them off and gets stubborn. 

I understand you're pationate for what you believe in, but you should give other ideas a chance.  My brother won't even let us argue back sometimes, just shuts us up.  It's annoying.  To have a good argument, you have to be willing to listen to the other side, not just blow it off, and be all "my way is best, and you're stupid for not seeing it." 

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on May. 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM
I agree! Lluvia I have family like this what you explain in the second paragraph. Also friends. I've seen rude remarks from them to their friends on FB when they don't agree on something they have said "if you don't like what I have to say delete yourself as my friend" I just sit there and go really? Why put a contrversial post on FB and not expect someone to put something that you won't agree with then be rude and tell them their way is wrong and if they don't like it to delete you.
Right now I have family and friends blocked from having their political crap from popping up on my news feed and I let them know about it too some deleted me and honestly I can give a flying rats ass. Political talk + friends and family don't mix.

Quoting LMJ1:

It's not rude.  My brother is a Jehovah's Witness and is always on our case because we are not on the "right path to God."  His way is the only way, and we always end up arguing and angry during family gatherings.  We've asked him to please stop the judgment and criticism, and his response is, "why, truth is uncomfortable, huh?"  What's worse, when we give him good factual reasons why we do not join his church he blows them off and gets stubborn. 

I understand you're pationate for what you believe in, but you should give other ideas a chance.  My brother won't even let us argue back sometimes, just shuts us up.  It's annoying.  To have a good argument, you have to be willing to listen to the other side, not just blow it off, and be all "my way is best, and you're stupid for not seeing it." 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

This is exactly how  my son is. He wants to be right and won't even listen. I feel bad, but I want to discuss other things too.

Quoting LMJ1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN