Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the day 5/2

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 9 Replies
Question of the Day: Some folks work in environments where there is a lot of down time. Would you say that during this down time it is appropriate to browse the web, check your phone, read and/or work on your own activities instead of just sitting/standing around, or should you look for other work-related things to do, even if they’re not in your job description?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on May. 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I personally look for something to do. Even if its not in my job description.

If I was the owner of an establishment I would like my worker's to do work related tasks even if its not in their job duties. Otherwise go home. Im not going to pay someone to do nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that if a company is paying me to work, I should work. Even if it is not 'my job'.

twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

If you are on the clock it should be work related. Anything else can wait to get done on your own time. Though I am guilty of doing my personal stuff on the clock. Nothing major, but I have made doctors appointments and called my kids school when they are not going to be in.

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on May. 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I think if your on the clock that you should find something to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

When I was working, if there was down time, I would always look for something to do. I like to keep busy. I was very productive and proactive.  Of course, once in a blue I would just surf the web, but it wasn't an every day thing.

karladiego
by Karla on May. 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I always had to look for something to do...it just bothers me to be sitting around doing nothing. But I will also take some of the down time to check up my email.

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on May. 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Sure as long as your boss doesn't catch you!

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on May. 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I worked in a pharmaceutical company where there was a lot of down time.  We worked inside a cleanroom (bunny suits), so we weren't allowed to bring in ANTYHING.  Computers were only for supervisors and were controled by the IT guy, so no one could use it.  I always found myself wiping stuff.  I swept. I vacuumed, and even mopped.  I cleaned and cleaned.  You can never clean or wipe too much in a cleanroom!  :-)  Plus, you can daydream while you do it, and before you know it, it's time to go!  :-)

NADIA-R
by NADIA on May. 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I also always look for something to do and if there is nothing to do and I know my boss doesn't mind that I browse the web then why not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)