Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

How many of you ladies wore a "faja" after having a baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

As a Mexican American I grew up with many traditions and superstitions.  One tradition I learned was that after having a baby you wear a "faja" or abdominal binder to keep your sexy figure. Not the spandex ones you wear underneath your clothes.  The fajas our mothers and our tias wore.  Usually a heavy cotton material you wrap tightly around your waist and it ties, or the updated version the kind that are heavy duty super elastic that velcro.   Now that I have 4 kids- 3 vag deliveries, my 4th baby a c-section- and that I've worked in post partum and nursery, I was suprised to learn how many of my  nurse friends and patients never heard of wearing a faja.  The few that did wear one was for a medical reason. 

Let me tell you how amazing fajas are.  From a medical point, they help with healing because they provide abdominal support and helps your abdominal muscles and everything else go back in place.  Also you are less likely to overeat while wearing a faja.  I wore mine after having all 4 kids for about 6-8 weeks.  It was the best thing after my c-section.  I was able to get out of bed by myself the same night after the c-section.  So what are the results?  I was back in my size 2-3 clothes and have a flat belly by about the eighth week.   You see results right away.  Literally with each passing day I could see the changes.  I only took it off to shower.  I lost the weight fast.  OK, I also breastfed and that helped too. 

Tell me your success stories and wether or not you have heard of or done this.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I only used one after my first baby. It did help me I had no stomach after as month.

Elle.tea.22
by New Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Mami, I haven't had this baby yet but I have 4 fajas waiting for me when I do :) My only aunt who didn't wear one.. Well... Her tummy kinda never went back to we're it belong. She's skinny but the skin is everywhere :-/
HisMommy4Ever
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't do it. I wore it at the hospital but I couldn't do it anymore when I got home. It was way too tight and too uncomfterable. I regret it now lol....I didn't think it would do shit to my stomach so I'm like..fuck this....and it was such a relief when I would take it off...I felt like i couldn't breathe while i had it on....

Teenmommeee
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM
I had a emergency c-section and I tried to use the faja but I couldn't bc i hurt. Plus my doctor told me not to bc it could cause an infection. But I was told to and I wish I could have but my tummy is fine, and flat. I think I was more scared of getting it infected and then having to be stitched up again... Yikes....
Steamedpuddle30
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM
I think they help! I am going to start today. My Baby is 10 days old.

My mama said before women were small medium or large. Now they are all mushroom tops she says. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsCastillo06
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM
I couldn't find any and the store elastic ones didn't work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KPNJ2009
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I never wore a faja..I didn't know any better..and although I am a small size (2) I have loose skin and think a faja would have prevented this drastically.

Vanderhyde
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I did wore a faja and within a week I lost the baby weight and my sister had a c-section and she was in so much pain and I let her use my faja and she felt much better she got up and started walking. The lotion thing for stretch marks does not work I put on lotion and oil for stretch marks and I didn't scratch my stomach and I still got stretch marks.
JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I wore one because it helped ease the pain after having a c-section.

LOVES67
by Emily on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I did and it did help a lot..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)