Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

How many of you ladies wore a "faja" after having a baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

As a Mexican American I grew up with many traditions and superstitions.  One tradition I learned was that after having a baby you wear a "faja" or abdominal binder to keep your sexy figure. Not the spandex ones you wear underneath your clothes.  The fajas our mothers and our tias wore.  Usually a heavy cotton material you wrap tightly around your waist and it ties, or the updated version the kind that are heavy duty super elastic that velcro.   Now that I have 4 kids- 3 vag deliveries, my 4th baby a c-section- and that I've worked in post partum and nursery, I was suprised to learn how many of my  nurse friends and patients never heard of wearing a faja.  The few that did wear one was for a medical reason. 

Let me tell you how amazing fajas are.  From a medical point, they help with healing because they provide abdominal support and helps your abdominal muscles and everything else go back in place.  Also you are less likely to overeat while wearing a faja.  I wore mine after having all 4 kids for about 6-8 weeks.  It was the best thing after my c-section.  I was able to get out of bed by myself the same night after the c-section.  So what are the results?  I was back in my size 2-3 clothes and have a flat belly by about the eighth week.   You see results right away.  Literally with each passing day I could see the changes.  I only took it off to shower.  I lost the weight fast.  OK, I also breastfed and that helped too. 

Tell me your success stories and wether or not you have heard of or done this.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Oct. 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I'm sad to admit I dis not wear one. But I DID NOT, I repeat, I DID NOT get stretch marks!!!

I know! Don't hate me!!! I'm fat, but my belly is stretch mark-free!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ninermom
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I did wear one after my first preganancy for a few months....but then I stopped because it was so unconfortable. I didn't even try wearing one with my next two babies. But I now regret not doing so.

yadira1980
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
You sound like me! I only have one baby but I 32 and back in my size 2 clothes and no pouch
! Love that my mom made me ware that thing! I even wore 2 one lower and one higher up to my bra line :) I work out now and have a muscle definition and look like I had no baby:)

Quoting momma_814:

Fajas are the bomb! I wore one after all 4 of my kids. I'm in a size 4 and my belly doesn't look like I had 4 kids. Also lotion helped out a lot to keep the stretch marks away. I don't have any on my belly. I have a few light ones on my hips but that's it. I too tell every prego friend I have.
JerseyAirGurl
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:19 AM
I just gave birth this past Tuesday and just learned about using one... I ordered mine on Saturday... And will start using it right away. Hope it works.
kierrap26
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM

This also runs in my family , I tried wearing one but I gave up and now that I'm pregnant again I definatly want my figure back so I 'm going for it !

YDS
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM
OMG thats so funny!! I used mine too.. With both of my girls.. My ma' would always say " ponte tu faja para k no kedes tan gorda" it worked, i lost most of the weight with both of my preg. I wore it like crazy, my husband would say OMG take it off I hate it, i would say im sorry but u will love the results. Lol.. N he does!!
margo2322
by New Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:12 PM
I did but months after. My doctor said no fajas since I had such a complicated csection
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
insight_spirit
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I also have heard the same story. My sister, when she was pregnant also used fajas. She used two actually. One was during the pregnancy which was called "Maternity Girdle", she said that one helped her have a composed back and abdomen and also to prevent stretch marks. The second faja, was the "Post Partum Girdle" which she used after her baby girl was born. She used to it get her flat stomach back on track. 

Mommy2Malaika
by Milly - Dominicana on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I did but as a "plus síze" woman it didn't work too well. I still wear 1 occasionally @ home to help aid my exercising. 

m.garcia21
by Maria - Mexicana on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Damn im a get me a faja ive never wore one. Do you think its too late my baby is one ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)