Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Taking advantage of illegal immigrants

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
  • 19 Replies

It has been all over news about the high foreclosure and bank repossessed houses.  In the state I live houses are "For Sale"  everywhere and very cheap.  There is a problem here that I have not seen anything being done about.  There are people that buy a bunch of houses super super cheap, like $5000 or $11,000 and maybe a little more.  So they fix up the houses enough to resell them.  Then they will have a Spanish speaking real estate agent show theese homes to no English speaking illegal immigrants.  Of course their dream is to own a home in the U.S.  Since they don't have a social security number they can't get a loan from any bank.  Oh but wait, theese scammers offer a perfect solution.  It is called a land contract.  Meaning you put say 10,000 down and pay out the rest in monthly payments.  But if you miss a payment, they kick you out and take the home back to resell it.

So if theeese scammers bought a house for 11,000 and spent 12,000 to fix it, they're in 23,000.  They sell the house for 45,000.  An illegal immigrant puts down 15,000 and makes monthly payments on the remaining balance.  This is what pisses me off. After say about a year of making monthly payments, Immigration shows up at their house or at their job and deports them.  So the house gets taken away and another Illegal immigrant gets the house and puts another maybe 10,000 down and makes monthly payments until he gets deported a few months later and so on and so on.  It has been suspected that the seller of the home is the one calling immigration on his buyers.  So him and the real estate agent are making lots of money on their houses.  Think about it, a down payment and a commission every time.  This is for many homes.  It makes me so sick!!

by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on May. 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

OH wow i hadn't heard of this. What State is this happening in?? Why is this not all over the news yet? That is really shitty. There should be rules and guidelines on how often a home can get sold by a real-estate company.Not sure if that will solve the problem but something has to be done. They can't keep on taking advantage of people who just want to live peacefully in the US. 

The American Dream is all they really want. Then these ASSHOLES come in and prey on these people. They most likely have been saving for many many years and thought that they would own this home and those fuckers call immigration and get them deported! I'm fuming right now. 

So fucked up in so  many ways. Then what happens to their kids?? Do they get put into foster homes or adopted?? I've heard of American kids born to Illegal Immigrants get taken away and then the government doesn't allow the family to take them back home to Mexico. They get adopted into American homes and most of the time placed into foster homes with total strangers. They are ripping families apart and it's just plain wrong.

angrysad

dinahrp
by Dinah on May. 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Michigan.  Here is the deal they don't transfer the deed into the immigrants name until it is paid off.  A land contract is just a piece of paper between two people that says I'm selling this house to you for 30,000,   give me 10, 000 down and pay me 700 a month.  Then it's yours and I transfer ownership to you.  It is a legally binding contract.  It also says that if you miss 1 payment the owner takes the house and all bets are off.  So the house still stays in the owners name.  It never changes names.  I have heard it mentioned a little here and there but I guess no one cares because it is happening to illegal immigrants.  I'm not sure what happens to the kids.  All I know is that there are 2-3 families living in a house and next time one drives by the house is empty and so on.  In the news a few months ago here they did a story on how police officers were waiting on illegal women when they were dropping off their kids at school in the morning.  They would pull them over after leaving their kids at school and asking for drivers license.  Since they had none they would impound their car and call immigration.  Many moms that are legal or born here teamed up and would car pool to take theese kids to and from school so their mothers would not be deported.   Until the media got involved and it stopped.  If I'm not lying I think Univision briefly mentioned this.   I think instead of preying on theese people they should chase down those good for nothing thugs that are just walking around some neighborhoods with their pants half way down their ass looking to see what people drive and what they have in their homes.  They look to ee what they can steal. 

CrickettyBoo
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Then they are merely renters.

I will probably get ripped to shreds for this but how and WHY do they think they can possibly own ANY land/home them being illegal?? $ 10-15k is a hefty amount to.come by so I highly doubt these,are recent immigrants. That money woukd have been a trillion times better spent on processing their LEGAL residency.

Just goes to show that latinos in general should be more informed and educated about the world surrounding us.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on May. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM
I see that everywhere. So sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on May. 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I have heard of similar scams like this before and some have even made it to court the problem is these people sign papers that they have no idea what they mean legally and those scammers win in the end. I think the problems lies in unfortunate innocenceor uninformed people who never consult someone before signing and giving away their money like that  all because they are afraid of ending up in trouble. A few years back I worked in a place where without me knowing all of the worker there were undocumented wow the things I learned and how many times they are robbed of their money for not knowing.

jessi2girls
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

That's a risk they have to take with being illegal.

They can't legally own a home in the US while being illegal.

It's a bad scam, and I feel sorry they fall for it.. but this is why legalities are a huge issue!

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on May. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

WOW this really sucks. :(

dinahrp
by Dinah on May. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Quoting CrickettyBoo:

Then they are merely renters.

I will probably get ripped to shreds for this but how and WHY do they think they can possibly own ANY land/home them being illegal?? $ 10-15k is a hefty amount to.come by so I highly doubt these,are recent immigrants. That money woukd have been a trillion times better spent on processing their LEGAL residency.

Just goes to show that latinos in general should be more informed and educated about the world surrounding us.

Land contracts here are legit.  Its usually for people that have bad credit and can't get a bank loan.  Apparently theese immigrants get together with 2 other families and they combine their money for a down payment.  The land contract you put down what you can and pay out the rest in monthly payments.  The terms are between you and the owner.  It is a written signed contract.  Lots of people do it here, except they pay off their home and become the official owners, not get ripped off. 

dinahrp
by Dinah on May. 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quoting ana326:

I see that everywhere. So sad.

Can I ask what state you live in?  I don't need city names or nothing.  I'm in Michigan.

dinahrp
by Dinah on May. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Land contracts are legit.  If the illegal immigrants could stay long enough to pay out the house it would legally be theirs.  I also know of some immigrants this has worked for because their house owner was honest.  But unfortunately bad stuff happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)