Let me start off by saying I love being Mexican and that I am the first generation in my family to be born on US soil. I am not racist and what I'm about to say is true of my family. And I think I can talk about the ones I love. So enjoy...
You know you're Mexican if..
1. In your family you have a Jose, Juan, Lupe or Maria. My grandmother named all 3 of her daughter Maria. Maria Elena, Maria Emma, Maria De Los Angeles.
2. When you went to elementary school you were related to half your class.
3. When you have a family gathering, parking takes up the whole block.
4. As our families expand, we build a room to the back out the house as a weekend project. Only white people buy a bigger house to accommodate a growing family.
5. We don't hire construction workers to add on rooms, our cousins can do that plus the electricity. And permits, ques es eso?
6. We're not afraid of cholos. They're family. We only fear immigration.
7. If you carry a Ziploc bag w/ chiles en vinagre in your purse because when you eat a restaurant white people food no tiene sabor.
8. We don't have the need for a doctor. Vaporu (or vicks) cures everything, and so does hierba buena.
9. If you see a huesologo for a bad back.
10. If you shop at La Colmena or La Michoacana.
11. If you listen to Juan Gabriel, Jose Jose, or Julio Iglesias.
12. If in your house every room is a bright different color w/ crucifixes mounted everywhere.
13. If in your front yard you have a statue of La Virgencita and baby Jesus and you show your respect by planting fake flowers in front of them.. They last all year.
So you mammas out there tell me your "you know you're Mexican if"