Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

I was accused of discriminating....

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 32 Replies

I am looking to hire a nanny a few days a week.  I'm paying good, I think and I had a list of requirements.  Have to have a driver's license, be bilingual, I'll pay for CPR training, a non smoker etc, etc.  This lady jumped all over me, said I was discriminating against her  and said Whether or not she smoke is none of my business and I have no right to ask.  I told her that I have every right, that all 4 of my children have eczema and allergies and smoking is bad for them.  Also I told her I have a nice home and I don't want it to reek of cigarette smoke and I don't want cigarette butts outside either. That smell stays in your hair, clothes, nasty.   I said I feel the right to demand a non smoker since I'm the one paying.  I told her to see where else she can make $350a week for 3 days and not have a high school diploma.  I might have been a little harsh, but I said this after she threatened to report me.  To whom?  I don't know...  Oh and technically, she would only be watching 2 kids, the others go to school.  Am I being unreal??

by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karladiego
by Karla on May. 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That is not discriminating at all, you have a set of requirements which any other job has. I cannot expect to be hired as a system analyst if I don't know anything about that and then accuse the employer of discriminating for not hiring me...That woman was crazy.

MamaCaram
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM
You have every right to tell her what the requirements would be, if she doesn't like it then she can go else where.
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on May. 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

oh wow!! what a nut case!! good thing she showed her true colors and not faked the funk and you hire her to later find out she's crazy!

twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No not at all. The company I work for does not allow any smoking and that  includes our parking lot. Your home your rules.

NADIA-R
by NADIA on May. 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I agree with Ana good thing she showed how koo koo she is before you went any further. I don't think that is racist I would be super picky to hire a nanny I'm wouldnot leave my kids with just anyone. Anyone who wanted a job fromme as a nanny would have to answer even more personal questions than that and if they refused I would think they were hidding something. They would have to be cristal clear to me. To many koo koos out there its hard to trust anyone now days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isell_avon
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Thats not discrimination at all! It would be if you said she has to be a latina.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyRain
by Reyna on May. 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Wow!!! Isn't she a winner? =/

You definitely have every right to demand and expect things from the person taking care of your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

How is this discrimination?  It is your right to pick a non-smoker to enter your home as a nanny.  Good thing she showed her true colors early on.

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on May. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM

WTH??? You have every right to refuse to hire someone to come work in YOUR HOME with YOUR CHILDREN that smokes. If you don't approve of the ladies you are interiewing then that is your business. She can go kick rocks!

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on May. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Your not discriminating at all. She can go try to find a job else where. If you don't want someone who smokes in your home watching your kids then you have every right to say hell no. She is nuts if she thinks this is discrimination.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)