Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Race Question

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 5 Replies
In another group there is a post discussing latinos as being white or non-white latinos. Some people are in shock that hispanics are allowed to check white as a race. Then someone made the comment to me that only fairer skinned hispanics call themselves latinos (at least that is the way I understood it).

How do you define your self? What race box do you check? What is the difference to you in regards to being Hispanic or Latina?
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on May. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I use to check the White box and then the Hispanic Origin. I think that's how it was before. A few weeks ago i went to the DNV and i asked the lady what box do i check off? Because they had origins and race in the same area. She said oh now you can just check the Hispanic box. You no longer will have to check White then Hispanic/Latino box. She said now you guys finally get your own box.

That's fine by me. I got no problem with getting my own box. lol I can't believe some people have a problem with what box we check. It shouldn't be any of their concern. People need to mind their own.

karladiego
by Karla on May. 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Well, last year when we filled the census, I was checked off as white, same as my son even though we have not even a speck of white on us...the guy doing the census told us we were considered white. Before Hispanic had its own check box on the ethnicities category. Haven't filled out paperwork recently so I really don't know.

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on May. 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, Latino is NOT a race. It is our Ethnicity, and just like Americans, we Latinos, come in all races (black, white, Asian,...). 

Some Latinos are white, some are white and some are Asian (yep, believe it).  Hollywood is the reason why everyone thinks that we are dark-skinned, dark-haired, short, and stocky.  That's where a lot of people get confused.  :-)

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

In another group there is a post discussing latinos as being white or non-white latinos. Some people are in shock that hispanics are allowed to check white as a race. Then someone made the comment to me that only fairer skinned hispanics call themselves latinos (at least that is the way I understood it).

How do you define your self? What race box do you check? What is the difference to you in regards to being Hispanic or Latina?

christi34
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish they would get rid of those boxes. It doesn't really matter if you are white, black, brown, green, pink, or purple. We all are people and should be treated with the same respect.

Quoting momma_814:

I use to check the White box and then the Hispanic Origin. I think that's how it was before. A few weeks ago i went to the DNV and i asked the lady what box do i check off? Because they had origins and race in the same area. She said oh now you can just check the Hispanic box. You no longer will have to check White then Hispanic/Latino box. She said now you guys finally get your own box.

That's fine by me. I got no problem with getting my own box. lol I can't believe some people have a problem with what box we check. It shouldn't be any of their concern. People need to mind their own.

Jesi_79
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Self identifying race only helps politicians decide how they will pander to us by putting us into little boxes.  Hispanic used to be a race, then they moved it to ethnicity to be checked after race.  But what about all the other ethnicities that go un accounted for, why just hispanics?

I'm not white, I'm not black, I'm not Asian, I'm really nothing on the list they have so I like to check off American Indian as my race as my mother is a Mexican indigenous indian.  I know that is not what they mean but I can't help it if they don't know that Mexico is part of America. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)