Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

What will you do????

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

You have been w/ your husband for many years, have kids and have dedicated your life to being a stay at home mom, you have dedicated yourself to your husband and children.  Then one day for whatever reason, you find yourself getting a divorce.  What are you going to do?  You never went to college, don't have a trade and your soon to be ex was the breadwinner.  As we all hear or know of someone in this situation, many men lie about their income to get out of paying child or spousal support or end up paying very little.  Could you live off that?  Many men also don't feel like they should have to pay and do whatever to run from this obligation.

Or what if heaven forbid, your spouse is in a terrible accident and passes? Or what if he gets a debilitating disease and will never be able to work again?   Can you keep up  with the lifestyle you and your children have?  How will you pay bills, buy groceries, etc..?   This is something that I see happens a lot.  Lets say this Friday is the last time you see one of your husbands paychecks.  What will you do?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
karladiego
by Karla on May. 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll look for a job, wouldn't feel ashamed of asking for help until I got back on my feet. When my ex left I had a job but no place to go, I survived somehow, I got stressed out and even depressed but once you have kids you just need to snap out of it and do things not just for yourself but for your kids too.

ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on May. 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Pick myself up and do anything to make cash except whoring LOL I would literally be in survival mode.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on May. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I have been there I got divorced one of the reasons was my ex had a great job and used to call me his maid cause I maried him as a teen and didn't go to college I did do my GED . When I got divorced people turned their back on me even family I found myself on my own with 4 kids. I searched for help all over I forbid myself to get welfare. People who didn't knew me helped me out a lot. And at the same time I got a divorce a good friend of mine did too she was not as lucky months later I found out though some common friends she had to do the oldest job to feed her 3 kids. But she did it only for her kids she told me she prayed to God for help and she got it she got 20 grand off some insurance thing. My mom always warned me about this she told me to prepare myself but my ex was an SOB he hardly let me finish high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

This happened to me when I divorced my first husband. I did have a job at the time. It was not a good paying job. I struggled for a long time. At times living with no light and selling most of my furniture for money. I remember one Christmas I got my kids bikes only to pawn them a month later. Slept on one bed and hardly had anything to eat. I was never on welfare, but not cause I didn't try I was denied. I just worked hard and never looked back. There was no time to cry or mourn the loss of my marriage.

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on May. 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

If my dH were to spring divorce on me I would go into survival mode as well. I'm a SAHM right now. I did not finish High School but I'm really looking into what i have to do to get my GED :) 

My DH is the bread winner and If he decided to leave me it would be very hard. I would do whatever i had to do to survive and do the best for my kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)