Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Children Have Strong Convictions Too.

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

9-Year-Old Boy Teaches Anti-Gay Protesters About Tolerence

Posted by Ericka Sóuter

portestersSometimes kids have more compassion and common sense than grown-ups. The proof? A 9-year-old boy from Topeka, Kansas, bravely went up against anti-gay protesters in his hometown.

After Miles Josef saw people from Westboro Baptist Church holding signs stating, "God Hates F---" and other slurs, he scribbled his own message , "God Hates No One." Then stood holding it just feet away from the mob of grown-ups.

His mom Patty Akrouche wrote on her Facebook page:

Josef was determined to make his own statement so we went to the car and with pencil and his sketch pad, he made up his own little sign...Those people are scary but he stood strong, was respectful and stood by his convictions.

It's certainly a frightening thing for a kid to do. I know adults who would shy away from going up against a horde of picketers, even if they thought the protest was morally wrong. It takes a courage a lot of us just don't have. Perhaps Miles didn't really understand what could have happened, like protesters turning their attention to him and his mom in an aggressive way. Maybe he was so brave because he wasn't worldly and experience enough to have that fear.

In any case, this one-man, correction, one-boy protest is such an inspiration. We usually think of the pre-pubescent set as only concerned with Xbox, Ipods and texting. But this young kid -- who stood up for what he thought was right -- clearly shows the world that maturity doesn't always correspond with age.

Would you let your grade-schooler go up against a protest like this?

by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dahlimamma
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM
And from the mouths of babes cones the truth. How awesome is that?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Wow.  We can all learn from this. 

manifer_momma
by Virginia on May. 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Wow, I applaud his bravery!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on May. 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Kids honesty...do I need to say more?

I don't know if I would let my kid go up against a protest, people with fanatic convictions usually resort to violence but I would let him participate or help with any other activities like fundraisers for example.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN