Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

His poor momma! RIP Johnny Le...died the day after his graduation. :+{

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:46 AM
  • 14 Replies

Friends of a St. Martin teen who drowned just one day after his high school graduation said they can't believe he's gone. Johnny Le, 18, died on Tuesday while swimming in the Tchoutacabouffa River in D'Iberville. 

In 24 hours, St. Martin High students went from feeling the excitement of graduation night to the agony of losing a dear friend.

Le's teachers said it was a pleasure having Le in their classes because he was very sweet and humble.

"He had the biggest case of senioritis I had ever seen. I teased him a lot about it,"said Linda Whiddon, a teacher. "He was a very good student and very anxious to graduate and start the next part of his life."

Unfortunately, Le's life ended before he could start the next chapter. Friends remember the teen as always joking with them and trying to cheer them up if they were feeling down.

"He would always try to be the one to like make the class laugh," said Timothy Tran, Le's friend. "He would always mess around with me."

Michelle Le, another friend, said, "Johnny was always really nice. He helped me out. He helped anybody out. If you needed a ride home from tennis practice, he would give you a ride."

Friends said it hurts knowing the 18-year-old had so much potential and he'll never get the chance to live out his dreams.

"I'm going to miss most that I didn't get to say goodbye to him. I didn't get to see him at graduation," said Michelle Le. "I'm going to miss his personality. His smile. His laugh. I'm just going to miss him overall. "

Tran said, "He was such a good friend. I miss him so much. I know he's in a better place right now so I'm going to try my hardest to stay strong him. "

"I'm going to be there whenever his memorial is. We should all show our respects and give his family all the help they need. I will definitely do my best to help them out," Tran said. "I want to be there for him all the way every day because I know he's there for me."

Johnny Le died in an area known as "The Cliffs." It the same place where in March another recent St. Martin High graduate, DeAndre Westbrooks, 20, drowned. The school's principal said more needs to be done to protect the public.

"Of course, I'm sad but I'm mad. I'm mad because how many more young lives are going to be lost before we go do something about that spot?" asked Principal Dina Holland. "Obviously there is a problem. There is something wrong. Are there warning signs out there? Are there 'no diving', 'no swimming'? If there is debris underneath there, is there something we can do to stop this?"

Holland said her husband's best friend drowned there in high school.

"We've got to do something to save these young people because young people aren't going to change," said Holland. "They are going to be risk takers. It's our responsibility to protect them as much as we possibly can."

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.

by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandyblx
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Johnny Le, 18, drowned in the Tchoutacabouffa River in the area known as the Cliffs. Just one day before, Le graduated from St. Martin High School. (Photo source: Facebook)   He was sooo young and while I never actually met him I "knew" of him. He was a  student in St. Martin where my oldest goes and one of the more popular kids.

brandyblx
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

BUMP!

brandyblx
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM

BUMP!

twobells
by Orfelinda on May. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

What a tragedy to go from celebrating to mourning. My oldest son lost two friends last year. Both of them drowned. One was trying to save the other. It was three years after graduation it is very hard on everyone. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

sophiesmom07
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This is so sad!  It angers me that teens take unnecessary risks and think they are immortal.  Senseless tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

brandyblx
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

BUMP!

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on May. 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

OMG how sad :( I pray his parents find comfort in knowing that he was loved by so many and that he is in the comfort of the Lord now. 

RIP Johnny Le

mstrendygirl
by Irene-Mexicana on May. 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

So sad may he RIP

brandyblx
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

BUMP!

RainyRain
by Reyna on May. 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM

=(

May he RIP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)