Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Is the Zombie Apocalypse Real?

Is the Zombie Apocalypse Real? Don't Freak Out, But ...

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

zombiesAre zombies real? Don't roll your eyes at me -- you know at least some tiny part of you can't help but wonder whether all the flesh-eating crimes of late point to the possibility of a real live (real dead?) zombie apocalypse.

Well, I can't say for certain whether or not the zombie apocalypse is upon us (interesting update on the "Miami cannibal" Eugene Rudolph: Apparently no flesh was found in his stomach during the autopsy, so he didn't actually eat his victim's face, he just chewed it off).

Anyway, setting aside the apocalypse part for a moment: Do zombies even exist?

Um ... probably. Yeah. Here's the (sort of) proof:

1. Neurotoxic "zombie powder." Dude, you know how in Haiti zombies were always the stuff of legend? Well, in the 1980s, Harvard ethnobotanist Wade Davis (from Harvard, did you catch that?) said he discovered a powder containing a neurotoxin which could be used to poison victims into a zombie-like state -- zombie powder! (To create armies of drone-like sugarcane plantation workers, of course.) Dude, he was from Harvard. It's gotta be true.

2. "Walking Dead" in Medieval Ireland. So, researchers recently dug up two early medieval skeletons in Ireland with big, giant stones wedged into their mouths -- "evidence, archaeologists say, that it was feared the individuals would rise from their graves like zombies." Because apparently in Ireland at that time, there was a prevailing belief in "revenants" or the "walking dead," an unsavory rep usually slapped on creepy outsider types.

3. Zombie fungus. Okay, this is a sort of long and involved scientific theory, but basically? The same fungal networks that sustain most forests could, theoretically, take over infected corpses (after death) and make them an active, meat-eating part of the ecosystem.

4. Zombie parasites. Guess what? You might ALREADY be carrying toxoplasmosa, the parasite that can turn rats into zombie-like creatures programmed to deliver themselves straight to waiting predators (and yes, the same parasite you can catch from a cat's litter box). Obviously, so far people haven't developed quite the same condition, but there have been reports of "personality change" and "insanity." Could get much, much worse ...

Phew! Freaky stuff, huh? Told you it was possible ...

Do you think real zombies exist?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Replies (11-11):
twobells
by Orfelinda on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Funny my son was just talking to me about zombies. He thinks if radiation got in the water from the tsunami in Japan and then got in the fish which people would eat it would cause them to mutate. Or the stuff that is washing up has radiation and the fish got in contact with that. My son thinking of how people will mutate and become zombie like. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN