Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

I need your advice, please!

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi ladies,

I need your advice on how to explain to my son, (who is 6) he will be having surgery in 3weeks. He is having kidney problems and we have been waiting for him to out grow it. Well the doctor finally decided something needs to be done. I don't know what to say to him or how to tell him what is going to happen. I do know that I will be nervous wreck. The surgery is two hours and he will need to stay 1 to 2 days in the hospital. The recovery is two weeks long so I have put in for vacation.

The reason as why I am hesitant is he gets anxiety about hospitals. See when I had my surgery he became afraid I wouldn't come back. I have talked to him, taken him with me to doctor appointments, and even to an appt at the hospital. We have to prepare for him to go a week before and he always wants to discuss every step up until we are on our way back home. Any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dinahrp
by Dinah on Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

As a pediatric nurse, my advice is be honest.  Give simple explanations about what is being done, how long he will be in the hospital and care afterwards.  The biggest fear children have is for the unknown.  Once he knows what is going to happen, he should feel more at ease.  Have him be a part of this, like let him pick out his clothes and pack his bag for the hospital. 

JCTVCBN
by Marina-Tex-Mex on Jun. 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I agree. You should be honest with him, and answer any question he may have as best you can.
I pray everything goes well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mum1
by Divia on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Thank you. I am going to schedule a surgery tour at the hospital before hand. I hope it'll help him. The surgery it self is two hours w/ 1/2 day stay. Recover should take two weeks. They r going in on his side and cut two veins then merge them together to try & stop the blockage.

Quoting dinahrp:

As a pediatric nurse, my advice is be honest.  Give simple explanations about what is being done, how long he will be in the hospital and care afterwards.  The biggest fear children have is for the unknown.  Once he knows what is going to happen, he should feel more at ease.  Have him be a part of this, like let him pick out his clothes and pack his bag for the hospital. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilTymomma
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

You should explain as simple as possible so he doesn't feel like he's going to die or anything like that. Ask him to help you pack his stuff for the hospital stay and take lots of entertainment. When I was in the delivery room I had my laptop, my DS, my fav dvds, etc,. Makes the stay a bit easier. anyway thats just ideas. Good Luck!!! Hope everything turns out fine!!!

Love Always,

Angel

typing

sophiesmom07
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Aside from what the other moms mentioned, let him know that you'll be bringing him some fun new books or coloring books while he recovers. That might cheer him up. Good luck! 

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM
bump

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I agree with the previous posters.

mum1
by Divia on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM
This is great advice. I will implement these suggestions. Thank you ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I'm just here to support what's already been said and to let you know you've got this. I pray all goes well and that your son recovers quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmomplus4
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I agree being honest is the best way and after you explain it to him in the simplest way, ask him if has any questions , if anything makes him scared and try to address it and reassure him as best as possible. Best of luck to you and your family and I really hope he has a speedy recovery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN