Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

~Desperate Housewive's Star Lupe Ontiveros Passes Away~

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

It's a sad day in Hollywood. Actress Lupe Ontiveros has passed away at the age of 69. The Mexican-American star was best known for her role in Selena, where she played convicted murderer Yolanda Saldivar alongside Jennifer Lopez.

The actress was also known for her role on Desperate Housewives where she played Juanita "Mama" Solis, mother-in-law to Eva Longoria's character.

Lupe was said to be suffering from liver cancer to which she succumbed to last night. Her Selena co-star Jacob Vargas was by her side and tweeted, "My friend Lupe Ontiveros just passed away. May you rest in peace. Thank you for your great contribution to film and TV. You will be missed."

Lupe Ontiveros is survived by her three children and husband. Our hearts go out to her family and friends

The Mexican-American actress enjoyed a prolific career, appearing in memorable film and television titles including "Charlies Angels" (1976), "The Goonies" (1985), "Fame" (the T.V. series, 1986), "Born in East L.A." (1987), "Who's The Boss?" (1988), "Punky Brewster" (1988), " Blood In, Blood Out" (1993), "Selena," "Reba" (2005), "Weeds" (2008) and "Desperate Housewives" (2004-2012).

Ontiveros was nominated for an Emmy in 2005 for her role in "Desperate" and was in the Oscar-winning film "As Good as it Gets" (1997). In "Selena," Ontiveros played the famous '90s Tejano singer's killer. Among the many films in which she played a maid, "Goonies" was one of them. Ontiveros is said to have gained a following of "Goonies" fans in recent years: "Oh my gosh, I'm a heroine to them," she said in a 2009 NPR interview.

Actor Jacob Vargas, who has appeared in multiple projects with Ontiveros, including "Selena," tweeted:

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Supervane
by Vane on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Aww may she rest in peace
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM
So sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Awwww, that is so sad I loved her in Desperate Housewives. May she rest in peace.

NADIA-R
by NADIA on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Rest in peace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twobells
by Orfelinda on Jul. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This is sad news, I remember her from Goonies. Did she also come out in Real Women Have Curves with America Ferrera?

Kyka
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM
RIP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Jul. 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

awwwww no thats so sad RIP :(

rollinhard07
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM
I believe she did, I liked that movie.

Quoting twobells:

This is sad news, I remember her from Goonies. Did she also come out in Real Women Have Curves with America Ferrera?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyRain
by Reyna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

May she RIP. =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN