Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Who are more nuturing as moms?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

Immigrant Moms Know More About Nurturing Than We Do

Posted by Adriana Velez

lunaOut of the following moms in America, native-born white moms, immigrant Chinese moms, and Mexican immigrant moms, guess who is the most nurturing? Mexican moms are! A study compared the parenting styles of all three groups and it looks like the Mexican immigrant moms came out on top.

It turns out that Mexican moms provided a "more warm and supportive home setting," argue less with their spouses, and show stronger mental health than white, native-born Americans and Chinese-Americans. So does that make them better moms?

I guess it depends on what you think matters most in mothering. Unfortunately, Mexican moms read to their kids less. Uh oh, no tiger moms here, apparently. But despite that, I think helping your child feel loved and secure is the most important thing a parent can do.

Well, I would. I'm the daughter of a Mexican mom. Actually, she's half Mexican, half Puerto Rican, and she was born in the US (her mother was born in Mexico). But I do think we were raised in a very warm and supportive home setting. Except when we were getting spanked! My mom played both sides in our family. She was strict and could lose her temper. But she was also loving, encouraging, always into what we were doing. We really got the sense that we mattered to her.

Ideally we all borrow from each other -- and I guess that's what immigrant families do after a generation or two. Hopefully we're keeping what makes Mexican children (and families) strong and adding what can also make them smart and well-prepared for competitive American life.

Are you surprised that Mexican immigrant moms are more nurturing than white American moms?

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Not surprised at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Vane on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Not a shocker. . . Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Sep. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I don't know if I agree with this article.

Amada
by Gina on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My mama is a white American mom. She still is very nurturing. However that is to take nothing away from all of the Mexican moms. I am an African-American mama and love on my children every day. 

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I'm a Mexican American mom and i'm the queen of tough love. 

karladiego
by Karla on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JeannetteG:

I'm a Mexican American mom and i'm the queen of tough love. 

Same here and I am Peruvian lol

McM0609
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Ahaha, ur mother sounds like me. In half Puerto Rican and Mexican and my mom was born in Mexico as well:-) I think I tell my kids I love them more then a millions times a day lol. I hug them and smother them because thats how I was raised, good article btw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Sep. 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I'm very strict with my daughter and I am a Mexican immigrant.

My daughter falls, and if she's ok, I'll be all, "stand up. You're ok." but with a soft voice. You will not see me running or screaming every time my child falls.

I do read to her A LOT!

We co-sleep, and practice self-weaning, but did CIO. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN