Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Does It Bother You?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever been in a situation where someone is making comments about Mexicans and does it bother you? We were having a meeting at work with a group of employees when someone makes a comment about our cleaning crew ( which are Mexican and don't speak English). Some associates gasp in shock and some laughed. I say a comment in Spanish about the associate who made the initial comment and some associates laughed. The associate who made the initial comment really meant no harm was just trying to be funny and it back fired on him. My comment to the associates in Spanish was for them not to worry about it right now. Well a girl starts yelling "This is not Mexico, This is not Mexico only speak English". So I told her does she think that  I am that stupid not to know that Texas is part of the United States. How do you all feel when someone says a joke or comment about race? Is it no big deal as long as it is harmless or do you get mad and tell them something?

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Replies (11-15):
purses2010
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The problem is that lets face it were not in Mexico we speak English here. and when they go to Mexico we want them to speak Spanish;   other people with differentnationality also go through the same problem.so for those whom live in a different culture learn the language.

aidenmomplus4
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I feel like it depends on the situation, there are people that do it to hurt and in that case you should stand up and say something, same thing if the joke is said by an ignorant person. But I feel that if it was meant to be harmless that you should let it go, and the reason I say this is because I feel like Hispanic love joking around and will make funny of themselves, their culture and people so we shouldn't have a double standard, it shouldn't be ok for us as an Hispanic to make fun our people and then ask other people of other races not too

mytrueloveS
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Humans don't respect each other, no matter the race, they all make fun of each other.  I don't let it get to me, but  it does irritate me, joke or no joke.   

Supervane
by Vane on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

That doesnt bother me exactly... But it does make me realize how stupid you maybe if you make those comments.

What does bother me is when people assume everyone with brown hair is Mexican. There are lots of other Latin/Hispanic originis out there!

twobells
by Orfelinda on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

It was a harmless remark, but I guess it should of not been said since he did not know how everyone would take it. We do joke around a lot at work and it really was not a problem only that the girl did not want us talking Spanish.

Quoting aidenmomplus4:

I feel like it depends on the situation, there are people that do it to hurt and in that case you should stand up and say something, same thing if the joke is said by an ignorant person. But I feel that if it was meant to be harmless that you should let it go, and the reason I say this is because I feel like Hispanic love joking around and will make funny of themselves, their culture and people so we shouldn't have a double standard, it shouldn't be ok for us as an Hispanic to make fun our people and then ask other people of other races not too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN