Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

how many of us...

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 43 Replies
...really speak spanish?

If you encounter someone from your country of origin that speaks only in spanish do you feel comfortable enough to spend a week with them and be able to really communicate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crabbyD
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM
I speak Spanish, but I keep in mind certain words I say if speaking to a person from another Latin country.... It's the dialect that sometimes has me second guessing myself. The reason I keep this in mind is because my father is Mexican and my mother is Guatemalan..... My mom use to make fun of my dad and vice versa when they'd say a different sort of word for something. Til this day my dad still makes fun of my mom for using the word voz when speaking to her family and my mom detests the word chamarra when speaking about coats/jackets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM
I do I speak Spanish all the time and I have friends who. Speak Spanish only just like friends who speak only English. I love both languages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XVAmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM
That is why I said country of origin. I know the dialect can be funny and get on the way. But if that was taken out of the equation...Would we feel we know enough?

Quoting crabbyD:

I speak Spanish, but I keep in mind certain words I say if speaking to a person from another Latin country.... It's the dialect that sometimes has me second guessing myself. The reason I keep this in mind is because my father is Mexican and my mother is Guatemalan..... My mom use to make fun of my dad and vice versa when they'd say a different sort of word for something. Til this day my dad still makes fun of my mom for using the word voz when speaking to her family and my mom detests the word chamarra when speaking about coats/jackets.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XVAmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Same here!

Quoting NADIA-R:

I do I speak Spanish all the time and I have friends who. Speak Spanish only just like friends who speak only English. I love both languages.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm very comfortable. I'm fluent in both Spanish and English.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Dialect aside, I'd be ok.

Quoting XVAmomma:

That is why I said country of origin. I know the dialect can be funny and get on the way. But if that was taken out of the equation...Would we feel we know enough?

Quoting crabbyD:

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm white and I'm fluent in Spanish I'd feel comfortable speaking it all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Vane on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
In very comfortable I'm both. But I do realize my Spanish is very norteño. But oh well that's were I'm from so everyone can just deal with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I am fluent.  There are some words that I forget, but usually, I can communicate very well, no problem. 

manifer_momma
by Virginia on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I'm fluent in both english & spanish so yes, I'm confident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)