Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

No Bautizo, No Halloween!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm catholic and of course my son will be one day too. Mt son is 11 month old and yet to be baptized. I was thinking of buying him a "Super Why" costume, my mom said it won't be possible for him to wear it nor go trick-or-treating since he's not baptized... So now I'm kinda bummed out ... What are your thoughts? Do/would you still go trick-or-treating or no?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM
My son isn't baptized and he went last yearand will go trick or treating this year too. Nothing will happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCTVCBN
by Marina-Tex-Mex on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I'd never heard that before.
brandyblx
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Ditto

Quoting TRISTENSMOM0602:

Being baptized or not has nothing to do with celebrating Halloween. Well at least to me. We are catholic and my kids aren't baptized yet, but we will be going trick or treating.

NADIA-R
by NADIA on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I think its old wives tales

RainyRain
by Reyna on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I took my kids trick or treating and they were not baptized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Understandable. I am the same way with my mother. I thank her for all the sacrifices she made for me, for teaching me morals, but now I get to decide how to use those teachings for the best of my family.

My mother believes in the evil eye (mal de ojo), and expecta me to allow her to run an egg over my daughter's body while she says the Padre Nuestro. At one point you have to break up.

It is not her beliefs, it's yours that matter. She raised her kids; now, it's your turn to raise yours.

I know it sucks letting them down. Believe me. I know. I am not babtizing my child, but rather let her get babtized on her own. My mother went up the wall when we told her this. She says our daughter will not be blessed and all that. Our dayghter is three and mom is still trying to convince us to babtize her.

Quoting canog08:

And I know "you kid your rules" but in Hispanic homes and when its your own parents how do you just go against the people who did anything and everything to make sure you were brought up right... I'm sure it would be like a slap in the face should I go against her beliefs?... Does that make scence?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm Catholic too and I have never heard of anything like this. I would dress him up and take him trick or treating.

twobells
by Orfelinda on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I guess it does not matter who is right or wrong it is if you want to hurt your mother's feelings. Even if you know she is wrong do you want to go against her? 

KPNJ2009
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I dont see the correlation between being baptized and going trick or treating.? I am not catholic though, I am christian so I believe baptism occurs when you are old enough to understand the faith and willingly want to partake in the faith.

I wouldn't take him trick or treating simply because he is not even a year and he doesn't understand what the heck is going on, besides he doesnt eat candy so whats the point? I took my daughter when she was almost 3 and she enjoyed herself for the 15 minutes we went door to door.

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

What did you decide?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN