Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

So the Halloween post is making me post this

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
  • 23 Replies

Alright, I have to start saying I do not want to offend anybody when it comes to religious beliefs, I respect any beliefs as long as anybody tries to shove it down my throat.

I have to start saying: HALLOWEEN is a commercial "holiday" or festivity if you want to call it that, it is now an excuse to be silly, wear a costume, play tricks and pig out on candy and NOTHING else!!

I could understand if somebody would feel offended if I say I would invoke spirits, adore the devil and do witchcraft on halloween but I accept you feeling offended but that won't give you the right to tell me I am doing wrong because there should be some comprehension and accpetance of other people's beliefs, right?? So this is a two way road, which means there may be some people who won't appreciate this post.

This is a vent since unfortunately I do have an ex (father of my child) who is a born again christian and definitely an extremist, yesterday this is the conversation we had:

Me: On the 27, our son has a halloween party but it is your weekend and since I do know you don't celebrate halloween, I am offering to pick him up and drop him off after the party.

Him: You know halloween is a sin, it is my weekend and I will talk to my son about the dangers of celebrating halloween, I know you do have a different point of view about this.

Me: So, you are going to talk to your son and try to convince him not to go?? By telling him it is a sin and he will burn in hell for it? Like you have done many times before?

Him: *silence*

Me: *pissed off at this point*(the reason? narrowmindedness irks me!) My point of view is not different, my point of view is normal, or do you seriously think that your son wearing a costume and eating candy is gonna condemn him to hell? could you use a bit of common sense? He is not going to be adoring the devil or doing witchcraft that day!! He will be dancing and wearing a costume and eating candy for God's sake!!

Him: Don't use the name of the Lord in vain

Me: *click* I just had to hang up or I was going to end up cussing his a$$ out.

So as you may see, my son wants to go to the party because a lot of his friend's are going to be there too plus he is excited because it is his first halloween party and his father had to ruin it with his extremist religious beliefs, I mean, whatever floats your boat but why ruin your kid's childhood? why scare him with eternal damnation when he is just a innocent sweet 8yr old??

Why??

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww what an asshole.

Girl my mom got upset cause I put up Halloween stuff. She said it opens the doors to bad things. I just rolled my eyes.

My house my décor..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Old wives tales, I say....only bad people open the doors to bad things.

Quoting ana326:

Aww what an asshole.

Girl my mom got upset cause I put up Halloween stuff. She said it opens the doors to bad things. I just rolled my eyes.

My house my décor..

Beauty91805
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM
You both have to respect eachothers beliefs. I see he is not doing that. Your child is an individual who will make his own decisions in the future. Its ok for him to share his beliefs with his son just as it is for you to. But there has to be communication between the both of you so that your not confusing your son. I will always tell my daughter this is how people think about this and that, but this is what I think about it. She'll ask me why and ill give her 2 point of views.

Good luck with everything, hope you both figure it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And I would respect what he thinks if he didn't try all the time to shove it down my throat or my son's throat...for him and on his words, my son will burn in hell because he is not baptized, I understand being religious but this crosses the line, when my son started having nightmares about burning in hell or the end of the world being near tells me there is something wrong with trying to scare an 8yr old into salvation.

I do believe in God but I would never force my kid to believe in what I believe, I would let him make his own decision when he is old enough to make it. Unfortunately communication between us is impossible, because his truth is the only truth.

Quoting Beauty91805:

You both have to respect eachothers beliefs. I see he is not doing that. Your child is an individual who will make his own decisions in the future. Its ok for him to share his beliefs with his son just as it is for you to. But there has to be communication between the both of you so that your not confusing your son. I will always tell my daughter this is how people think about this and that, but this is what I think about it. She'll ask me why and ill give her 2 point of views.

Beauty91805
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Yea I know people like that. My dd is 7 and as much as I believe in God I would never tell her she is going to burn in hell. Thats just crazy. Its people like him that drive others away from God and make them dislike believers. Perhaps maybe you can just try having a civilized conversation with him. If that wont work then tell him to at least be careful with how he is relating his information to his son because quite honestly he is misinformed.

Quoting karladiego:

And I would respect what he thinks if he didn't try all the time to shove it down my throat or my son's throat...for him and on his words, my son will burn in hell because he is not baptized, I understand being religious but this crosses the line, when my son started having nightmares about burning in hell or the end of the world being near tells me there is something wrong with trying to scare an 8yr old into salvation.

I do believe in God but I would never force my kid to believe in what I believe, I would let him make his own decision when he is old enough to make it. Unfortunately communication between us is impossible, because his truth is the only truth.

Quoting Beauty91805:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I roll my eyes at all those types of comments, it annoys me.

I'm sorry he's being an asshole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM
So unfair that he would try to impose his beliefs on your son he is too young to understand, all kids want is to have some fun. I hope he comes to his senses and allows him to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Vane on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Not only is it a commercial holiday its also mainly an American thing. To me its like saying your not going to eat on Thanksgiving. Sure it has pagan roots but so does Easter.

And even if you don't want to look at it that way. Bottom line is there are many more worse evils out there in the world. To me A. child with a smiling face asking for candy IS NOT EVIL OR DANGEROUS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Believe me when I tell you I had to bite my tongue because I was so close to curse him out.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

I roll my eyes at all those types of comments, it annoys me.

I'm sorry he's being an asshole.

karladiego
by Karla on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

And this is my main issue, he is young and he doesn't understand and most of all he gets scared and worried about things that shouldn't concern an 8yr old.

Quoting NADIA-R:

So unfair that he would try to impose his beliefs on your son he is too young to understand, all kids want is to have some fun. I hope he comes to his senses and allows him to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)