Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Need advice: How can I help my nephew learn some english?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

Alright. My 10 year old nephew is in 6th grade in a country side school in Puerto Rico. The english teacher tries to have a good lesson for the kids, but the fact is that covering the same story for a whole semester and picking it apart is not teaching the kids to speak english. My nephew, who has ADHD, has lost all interest in the class and is not even turning in his assignments unless we force him to do it, and even then, the assignments are so complicated that we end up being the ones that tell him what the answers are so he can at least write them down and turn in the assignment.

I need a way to get him interested in learning how to speak english, even just basic english. I was thinking of sending him some english books for little kids and having him practice with them, but without me there, I'm not sure he woud do the work. I need to think of something that is fun and will get him to want to do it.

Any ideas?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Itzy0ll0tl
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

i have the same issue with my daughter..

we are in mexico, and ever since she was little, i would try to talk to her in english.. even at six months she HATED it and would let me know she hates it.

so I just let it go, figured she would learn in school, and I could HELP her...

but she is just not interested AT ALL,...

I do make her watch movies she has memorized, in English.

Supervane
by Vane on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I would think the best way would be to start how you would a small child. Books flash cards, videos, and Nadine even interactive video games our computer games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twobells
by Orfelinda on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Get plastic Easter eggs and with a black sharpie put a letter on the outside.Inside the egg put something that starts with that letter. You can also teach him the colors with that. You can go around your house labeling your stuff. I buy different color m&ms and tell my daughter to put the same color ones together and them we count them. This will teach him colors and numbers. She likes it cause I tell her to eat some and then we can recount them.

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I learned English by reading and watching TV in English. I was 8 when I came to thus country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Quoting Supervane:

I would think the best way would be to start how you would a small child. Books flash cards, videos, and Nadine even interactive video games our computer games.

This. Also tv in English with subtitles. 

Dalimonster
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Thank you all. The major problem is that he is not with me. He lives in PR and I live in Masachusetts, EEUU. If I send him flashcards, noone will help him with them. I would have to be there to help him with the easter eggs, etc.

Watching TV in english would probably work, but his father would immediately change it to something in spanish becuse he himself doesn't want to watch something in english.

I really wish I could do something to help him, and his siblings, with this problem. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that because his parents don't care to help him, and I'm so far awy, I probably won't be able to do much. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN