Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Help!!! I'm loosing my hair:(

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have been getting the depot provera shot for over a year and I started to notice that's hair was falling out.. My question is if is ok to take prenatal vitamins while I'm on the shot.. I'm still breasdfeeding my last daughter , who is 20 months old .... I have four kids , so I'm on the shot so I don't get pregnant... But the loosing hair part scares me. Any advise or what can I do to help my hair to grow back..:( thank you to anyone that can help.. Goodnight and god bless you..
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DCR1
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yes, for the last twelve years i've been getting blood transfusions, they don.t know why, and iron infusions, same well last year huge amounts of hair was coming out when being washed and combed, so i know how scarey that is to you, i went on line to research as well as finally looked at what else the hemotologyst was doing because he never sat me down for a consultation, turns out he's shooting chemo in me as well, can't wait for wednesday when the office opens all hell is going to break loose, but back to you turns out the vitamin boitin is for hair, nails, skin and yes it is working and does not interfere with most meds, i chooses to take the 5000 mg gel caps, even my virgin hair on the ends have come back, and when i now wash my hair nothing falls out and nothing shows in the comb, because even my hair shaft has become stronger.

RainyRain
by Reyna on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM
I have a hormon imbalance and loose a lot of hair too. I have been using Amla oil and it has lessened the amount if hair loss and I also notice that my hair is growing faster.
I rub the Amla on my scalp and let it sit over night then I wash my hair in the morning. I do this 3 times a week.

A friend gave me the oil, she bought it at an Indian store. She was practically bald and now she has a full head of hair.

You can probably order it online too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyRain
by Reyna on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Are they giving you Methotraxate?
My rheumotologist suggested Methotraxate but I refused because it's a chemo drug, even though she claimed it was a baby dose, it scares me to take a chemo drug for the rest of my life.

Sorry you had to take it without knowing.

I was considering Boitin, sound like it's working well for you, I am going to ask my rheumotologist to see if I can take that too.

Quoting DCR1:

Yes, for the last twelve years i've been getting blood transfusions, they don.t know why, and iron infusions, same well last year huge amounts of hair was coming out when being washed and combed, so i know how scarey that is to you, i went on line to research as well as finally looked at what else the hemotologyst was doing because he never sat me down for a consultation, turns out he's shooting chemo in me as well, can't wait for wednesday when the office opens all hell is going to break loose, but back to you turns out the vitamin boitin is for hair, nails, skin and yes it is working and does not interfere with most meds, i chooses to take the 5000 mg gel caps, even my virgin hair on the ends have come back, and when i now wash my hair nothing falls out and nothing shows in the comb, because even my hair shaft has become stronger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this online:

"Depo-Provera is a contraceptive and has hair loss as a known side effect (between 1-5% of women), as do many birth control pills. Female genetic hair loss does not follow the patterns of genetic inheritance that run on the male side of the family, but it is not unusual for women who have genetic hair loss to have other women (mothers, aunts, sisters, grandmothers) with similar histories and findings."

http://www.baldingblog.com/2005/10/20/depo-provera-caused-hair-loss/

Can you switch to something else?  I was on Depo years ago and got off of it because it was making me gain weight.  I'm on birth control pills now and feel fine.

Supervane
by Vane on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I loose my hair when my Thyroid cycles out of medication. It sucks before I found out I had this problem I was going bald I had bald spots and had to cut my hair super short to hide the loss.

I think it may be a good idea to continue prenatals anyway since you are breastfeeding. OR just are regular multi vitamin. Also there are Hair, Nail, and Skin vitamins you can take on top of your regular multi vitamins.

Supervane
by Vane on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Thats good to know. I read in the Mamas Latina site the uses for Coconut oil and hairloss was one of them it said it regenerated cell growth. Go Figure!

Quoting RainyRain:

I have a hormon imbalance and loose a lot of hair too. I have been using Amla oil and it has lessened the amount if hair loss and I also notice that my hair is growing faster.
I rub the Amla on my scalp and let it sit over night then I wash my hair in the morning. I do this 3 times a week.

A friend gave me the oil, she bought it at an Indian store. She was practically bald and now she has a full head of hair.

You can probably order it online too.

NEISA50
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I am going to try the Amla oil and the biotin pills. my hair is falling out badly to the point where i have to put on a scarf because i have hardly any hair on both sides of my head and i can't even comb it because it falls out and i can't cover the bald spots.

NADIA-R
by NADIA on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM
I loose a lot of hair do to thyroid problems and coconut oil helps a lot not only did it stopped falling so much my hair looks shiny and healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyRain
by Reyna on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Do you apply the oil to your scalp?

Quoting NADIA-R:

I loose a lot of hair do to thyroid problems and coconut oil helps a lot not only did it stopped falling so much my hair looks shiny and healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

yes I do and all over my hair too. I used a dime size amount of coconut oil cause its oil and it can be greasy if you apply to much. plus it tames my frissy dry hair and makes it soft and shiny.

I later on found this oen which works just the same and its more like a lotion for your hair,

Quoting RainyRain:

Do you apply the oil to your scalp?

Quoting NADIA-R:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)