Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

---Do You Agree or disagree- 3 of 29 lessons learned while traveling the world---

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 5 Replies

(from fluentin3months)

Lesson 3 of 29

3. “Someday my ship will come in” is bull----. You will NEVER win the lottery. Be practical.

People seem to have a strange concept of how luck works and how the universe/some deity/karma/their lucky shoe or how “they deserve it” will mean that things will eventually fall into place for them. You are “due” to win the lottery or will get swept away by prince charming any day now. “You deserve it” (as if others don’t).

This is a misunderstanding of how the world actually works. Perhaps I’m wrong and praying or hoping that it will all work out, or generally being a nice person is what really “does the trick”, but why not actually get off your butt and do something tangible too while you’re at it.

I personally don’t believe in magic or fairies or astrology or sky wizards or large-scale invisible inexplicable forces at work on petty daily activities of humans. I’m sceptical about such things, and believe they are all impossible/ridiculous, and knowledge of this has enriched my life. As a practical person, I see the world as a very logical place with physical and social rules and understanding this has helped me live well in it.

The universe owes you nothing, you owe it to yourself to be the master of where your life ends up.

Do you agree or disagree?

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree for the most part. I too, consider myself a very practical person with the difference that I do believe in the existence of a deity, our God.

There is difference between practical and cynical. The author sounds a bit cynical.

I believe that there is no such thing as luck-good or bad. You get and deserve only what you've worked for.

I believe that money isn't everything, but I would be a fool to think it's not important. That's the practical in me. While I strive to achieve spiritual growth, I know we need food to survive and thus, money to obtain it.

The Brahmans of India, for example, are the highest of priests (from what I understand). They divorce from the material world completely and the pleasures of the flesh. They wear a cloth that barely covers their crotch atea and beg for food. They devote their lives to only spiritual growth and often achieve the maximum religious/spiritual experience.

All that is beautiful and really worthy of admiration. But the practical person in me, would probably sell her ass for a living before begging for food.

Our Earth's mechanism (for lack of a better term) is perfectly balanced so we get the right amount of air, temperature, etc... We would be fools to think the NO ONE of higher power had anything to do with this.

It is only logical that we, creatures of Earth also find the balance in our lives as well, in order to have true joy and inner peace. I wholeheartedly believe that without God, such is not possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Sort of I think yeah some of us are fools waiting for prince charming, or winning the lotto, making it big. I think we all make our luck yeah we do get lucky sometimes and I'm sure we can have a chance of getting one of those things but chances are slim. I also believ in God and I know that without him we wouldn't have anything. So that said I think we have to work our way to getting what we want wheter its that nice work possition, more money, a great guy without losing hope either that in the way there we get it faster without much effort. Like my granda says if you go out looking for great stuff you are bound to bump into it just like if you look for trouble.
Supervane
by Vane on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM
I agree
sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I believe that you have to work at achieving things you want.   Some people get lucky and things fall in their laps, the rest of us have to work toward our goals. Faith is great, but you have to be proactive. God helps those who help themselves. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN