Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

What Lies Do You Tell Your Kids?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

10 Big, Fat Lies We All Tell Our Kids

Posted by Andrew Kardon

pinnochioMy entire life is a lie. Well, that's not completely true. See, I just lied. It's probably because ever since childhood, we adults have been lied to our entire lives.

Okay, so I still refuse to believe that Pluto is not a planet. George Washington never chopped down a cherry tree. And the Civil War wasn't a war to free the slaves. Whether in school or at home, kids are just told certain things to make learning easier. Maybe they're not the most blatant lies, but more a stretching of the truth. Regardless, a white lie is a lie.

So why do we lie to our kids? And don't tell me you don't. Everyone has lied to their kids at one point or another. Maybe we do it because their minds aren't developed enough to understand the full concept of some things. Or maybe we do it because it's just easier that way.

Since the average U.S. adult lies roughly 29 percent of the time (See, I just made that up. I lied. Again. It's so easy!), we're doing our kids a favor by lying to them. We're inadvertently teaching them that lying is a part of life, and the sooner they can accept it, the better. Here's a look at 10 Big Fat Lies We All Tell Our Kids.

1. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Yeah, right. So why do we even keep score? No baseball player's getting a 10-year contract valued at $280 million for just playing a good game.
  2. Fictional characters. Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny. The Tooth Fairy. We make up these elaborate stories about mythical characters because ... well, it's just too darn easy to fool the little buggers.
  3. This will hurt me more than it'll hurt you. Yeah, the kids aren't buying this one either.
  4. Work hard in life and you'll get far. Sure, if by "work hard," you mean walking. That's about the only way you'll get anywhere. The older you get, the more you realize how true it is that it's not what you know, it's who you know.
  5. Stop touching that or your palms will get hairy. No, really? Parents don't STILL say that, do they?
  6. We sent Fluffy upstate to run around a huge farm. Dog, cat, fish, whatever. Whenever a family pet dies, nobody wants to tell the kids. So they're always sent off to some huge farm far away. That must be one ginormous farm if everyone's pet is there!
  7. It's what's on the inside that matters. That's what we apparently tell all the ugly kids.
  8. There's nothing to be scared about. Have you seen what college tuition is going to cost when your kids are old enough?!?
  9. Mommy and daddy were just wrestling. But how come on TV, the athletes all wrestle with their clothes on?
  10. Cheaters never win. Unless you're Lance Armstrong ... for a little while, at least.

What lies do you tell your kids?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gammie
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

love them but have only said  7 out 10

I have said mom's have eyes in the back of their heads, we can see all.

If you lie you get a black spot on your forehead. lol

It was mostly said as a joke.

RainyRain
by Reyna on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I use/used some of the ones listed above.

I also told them that they came from the dollar store. 3:)

That if they eat their vegetables they will be stronger and taller than daddy. ;)

I am sure I said mor things but I can't think of them.

karladiego
by Karla on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I have used some of the list and some from the other replies.

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I have not used any on the list. She will know from the get go that Santa and them arent real.

I dont believe in telling a kid they did great even though they just lost. More like, "good try!" if we keep giving trophies to EVERYONE, then we will raise very entitled kids who will believe they deserve everythung. I have met tge adult version of a child who was not bad, "people just misunderstood him."

The lies I have told my 3 yr old are: when she wants more candy, "there is no more."
And when she wants to get on the ride outside the gricery store and im in a hurry, "its broken! Sorry!"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HisMommy4Ever
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I have told my son some of the above. And well if we told our kids the thruth all the time that would be mean...sometimes you just have to tell them little white lies...they'll learn the thruth once they're old enough. About the santa, tooth fairy ect.....well come on! they're kids! why ruin their little imaginations?

kgmmw
by Kimberly-US/Mex on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I've used some of those
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I don't lie to them about anything anymore except for Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy.

sophiesmom07
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The obvious, Santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny...  I also tell my dd that Mickey calls me every week for updates on how she's behaving and that when he feels she's ready, he'll send her an invitation to Disney, lol. 

twobells
by Orfelinda on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have used several listed. I also call her from my cell phone and change my voice to sound like Elmo to tell her it is time to go to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN