Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Speech and Shyness Question

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son has a speech problem and is extremely shy. He's 6 and in first grade. I know he gets his speech problem from me because I got that and so does my father. My mother never did anything for me to get better at it, so now I am helping my son at school and at home. I'm doing everything I possibly can to learn about this and know how to help him. But what worries me most is that I didn't start teaching him what a child needs to know before they start school until he was 4 or 4 1/2. I had bad problems with his father and I was so sad and depressed. But now that I'm feeling better about myself and putting my life back together I have been focusing on his education, speech, shyness, behavior and etc... I am glad to hear from his teacher that he is making progress and that as long as he is doing better than he will continue on to 2nd grade. Do you have a child that has some trouble with speech? How did you help your child? And are any of your children shy as well?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twobells
by Orfelinda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

None of my kids were shy or had trouble with speech. What about taking him to the park or library where he can interact with kids his age. In school does he have a good friend? How about having him spend more time with a kid from his class outside of school.

Supervane
by Vane on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Mine doesn't have a speech problem. I think the vest thing you can do for that is have him read out loud in front of you, then other family members, have him read out loud everyday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NADIA-R
by NADIA on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM
My 8 year old son was and is in the same situation. He has always been shy and had speech therapy. I mostly talk to him and encourage him to make friends and talk with more people. He has progressed. a lot from what he started but he still only has about 2 good friends only but I dont mind that much cause his teachers like him more being a quiet boy and pick him often for special things like leading the class, being the speaker at events and he does well. I suggest you to make him talk at home more with you and slowly he will progress at school too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GOYA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting NADIA-R:

My 8 year old son was and is in the same situation. He has always been shy and had speech therapy. I mostly talk to him and encourage him to make friends and talk with more people. He has progressed. a lot from what he started but he still only has about 2 good friends only but I dont mind that much cause his teachers like him more being a quiet boy and pick him often for special things like leading the class, being the speaker at events and he does well. I suggest you to make him talk at home more with you and slowly he will progress at school too.

Thank you. He does really well at home and with some family members. In school he talks with te other kids in his class now and gets along with them. It looks like when it's time to participate with the the class where everyone hears him reading or talking he has become aware of how he sounds so he doesn't want to talk much because he does not want to be made fun of. But I'm glad for the improvements he's made so far.

gardensparrow
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi there~I just caught your comment and it sounds like you're doing your best to help your son succeed in school despite his struggles. And, it's definitely not easy to know the right ways to do this. But, I did wonder if you've ever thought of getting your son into any counseling or speech therapy to help you both know the best ways to deal with this? His teacher or your pediatrician may be able to make some referrals in that area. Also, as far as his shyness goes, I've come across a book called Building Confidence in Your Child that might be worth looking into online or at the library. It had some good suggestions on handling situations like these.  Lastly, depending on how busy you are, perhaps looking into a tutor for your son could be useful? They're usually cheaper that a therapist and might be able to give you son some help with any speech or learning issues. Just a thought. Well, I'll be praying that you'll know the right ways to help your son grow and learn. Hang int here!

JeannetteG
by Jeannette-AZ/Mex on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Contact the school and tell them you would like your son to be evaluated so that he can work with the speech therapist. If your child is hard to understand the teachers will more then likely contact you with permission to evaluate him. My son is in 2nd grade and has been working with a speech therapist for a little over a year. It took awhile but he is definietly progressing.

GOYA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting gardensparrow:

Hi there~I just caught your comment and it sounds like you're doing your best to help your son succeed in school despite his struggles. And, it's definitely not easy to know the right ways to do this. But, I did wonder if you've ever thought of getting your son into any counseling or speech therapy to help you both know the best ways to deal with this? His teacher or your pediatrician may be able to make some referrals in that area. Also, as far as his shyness goes, I've come across a book called Building Confidence in Your Child that might be worth looking into online or at the library. It had some good suggestions on handling situations like these.  Lastly, depending on how busy you are, perhaps looking into a tutor for your son could be useful? They're usually cheaper that a therapist and might be able to give you son some help with any speech or learning issues. Just a thought. Well, I'll be praying that you'll know the right ways to help your son grow and learn. Hang int here!

Yes, I have been thinking about that as well. I have already made an appt. for him to see what his doctor suggest. I will look for the book and check it out. He has started his speech therapy at school and as well getting help from his teachers to. The teachers and I are in constant communication, so I know he will do better.

GOYA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JeannetteG:

Contact the school and tell them you would like your son to be evaluated so that he can work with the speech therapist. If your child is hard to understand the teachers will more then likely contact you with permission to evaluate him. My son is in 2nd grade and has been working with a speech therapist for a little over a year. It took awhile but he is definietly progressing.

I am doing it and I am already seeing progress with him at school. The teachers are great with him and I am very happy.

gardensparrow
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the update! Let us know how the doctor's appointment goes. I'll be praying about it!

GOYA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

He had his first speech lesson yesterday and when he came home he said he made a few new friends and was very happy. I can say it went well for him on his first day. I'm a happy momma!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)