Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Speech and Shyness Question

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has a speech problem and is extremely shy. He's 6 and in first grade. I know he gets his speech problem from me because I got that and so does my father. My mother never did anything for me to get better at it, so now I am helping my son at school and at home. I'm doing everything I possibly can to learn about this and know how to help him. But what worries me most is that I didn't start teaching him what a child needs to know before they start school until he was 4 or 4 1/2. I had bad problems with his father and I was so sad and depressed. But now that I'm feeling better about myself and putting my life back together I have been focusing on his education, speech, shyness, behavior and etc... I am glad to hear from his teacher that he is making progress and that as long as he is doing better than he will continue on to 2nd grade. Do you have a child that has some trouble with speech? How did you help your child? And are any of your children shy as well?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-17):
JCTVCBN
by Marina-Tex-Mex on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Oh, that's great!
I'm glad it went well.

Quoting GOYA:

He had his first speech lesson yesterday and when he came home he said he made a few new friends and was very happy. I can say it went well for him on his first day. I'm a happy momma!!!

Angelica46
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

First, continue with the speech therapy. He is young and has lots of time to improve his speech and teacher says he is making progress. You are a good mama because you care and want to help. Provide constant encouragement, praise and positive reinforcements. Allow him to interact socially even if it is in small groups. It will be the quality of friends he will do best with even if it's one or two friends rather than having bunches of friends. He will do great. Shy people are usually very intelligent and creative and usually express themselves in non-verbal ways and they grow up to be wonderful people.

GOYA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting Angelica46:

First, continue with the speech therapy. He is young and has lots of time to improve his speech and teacher says he is making progress. You are a good mama because you care and want to help. Provide constant encouragement, praise and positive reinforcements. Allow him to interact socially even if it is in small groups. It will be the quality of friends he will do best with even if it's one or two friends rather than having bunches of friends. He will do great. Shy people are usually very intelligent and creative and usually express themselves in non-verbal ways and they grow up to be wonderful people.

Thank you. I  do see him improving and as feeling better. He does comes out of his shell after a few months and then it's all good.

LOVES67
by Emily on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hi, yes my son has a speech problem, his was getting therapy for that, now that his in school there helping him, is the school helping him with his speech problem is he going to therapy..

gardensparrow
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yeah! I'm glad the speech therapy went so well! I'll keep praying that you'll see improvement in your son!

SLPyogi
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

What speech issues do he have?  You can request a speech screening at the public school.  In order to faciliate this, put a written request into the classroom teacher and the school-based speech-language pathologist.  Usually you have until age 8 years to correct a speech issue in a short amount of time.  After age 8, the correction process is usally longer.

SLPyogi-www.sayitright.org

krise
by Christine-Arizona on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

yes. Josiah my 9yr old has had speech issues for a while now.. I was in speech class all the way up to 6th grade. So yes I know all about it.. JOsiah we noticed issues with him before school started, in preschool. there was a gov program a nurse mentioned to me to get him signed up for. Free, so I thought I should try it.. they did a speech test with him, his ears and everything.. Now that he is in school they had it set up where he sees a speech teacher once a wk in a classroom . it's been nice and we have seen huge changed in him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN