Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any non-Christian/Catholics here?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 23 Replies
If yes, did you convert?

What influenced your decision to convert and why?

Religion fascinates me . I just LOVE to learn about people's journey in finding the perfect fit for them:)

Feel free to put in your 2 cents about the idea of religion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic parochial school 9 years. I always enjoyed theology but not the dogma of theology (church, etc) and the rules just didn't make sense. As I became older and my strong belief in the paranormal moved me to discover Gnosticism and so I realized that I was Gnostic. I didn't pick the belief. It picked me based on what was already part of my belief system which contradicted with Catholicism.  Technically, I was never Catholic since I could not believe what they wanted me to believe. 

Belief is ingrained deep in your soul no matter what others tell you, you either believe or you don't. You can't want to believe and expect it to happen and you can't make yourself believe. It is or it isn't. 

I don't believe that God gave anyone a book, which can be and has been manipulated by man. The bible is, again, within our soul. Something no man can touch. Something everyone possesses and can not corrupt unless we are open to corruption. 

Religion is man-made dogma, far and separate from God. 

soliderwife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Catholic ,converted when married my DH,

ZenLady
by Ahtziri - Mexicana on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I'm baptized Catholic but have not practised in 20 some years. I don't agree with the many "rules" there are to attain salvation. The 10 commandments suffice.

Anyway, I've been doing some soul searching & Iam gravitating towards Sikhism. But, I don't consider myself belonging to any group of organized religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Raised catholic, stop practicing it many years ago but I do have my faith in God, I talk to him and I try to be a good person, mom and wife. I also believe in karma, reincarnation and past lives (non-catholic ideas).

LMJ1
by Lluvia-Mexicana on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I was raised non Catholic. My husband was raised Babtist.

When we got married, we decided to find our own church. We have been unsuccessful, but we have a good relationship with God, I think. We want our daughter to have the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Christine-Arizona on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quoting LMJ1:

When we got married, we decided to find our own church. We have been unsuccessful, but we have a good relationship with God, I think. We want our daughter to have the same.

this... still on a hunt for a good church for all out needs... I was raised Catholic, JJ I'm not sure honestly... we feel religion is a huge down fall but have a good relationship with god :)

karladiego
by Karla on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

When it comes to my hubby, he is presbyterian but turned into an atheist, I respect that. He respects my beliefs and makes fun of the holy rollers lol. I have given my son a light idea about religion but he is 9, when he is older he can decide himself.

Quoting krise:

Quoting LMJ1:

this... still on a hunt for a good church for all out needs... I was raised Catholic, JJ I'm not sure honestly... we feel religion is a huge down fall but have a good relationship with god :)

manifer_momma
by Virginia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
We're the same, dh and me have very different views. As For the kids, I'm just teaching them to be understanding humans of moral character.

Quoting karladiego:

When it comes to my hubby, he is presbyterian but turned into an atheist, I respect that. He respects my beliefs and makes fun of the holy rollers lol. I have given my son a light idea about religion but he is 9, when he is older he can decide himself.

Quoting krise:

Quoting LMJ1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Vane on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I practiced catholicism. For many many years. From birth and by choice.

I'll cut to the chase.... A priest in my church surfaced as an imposter, then many boys who I had grown up with were his victims of sexual abuse. This was a priest that had been our soccer coach, driven us home, listened to our questions, married my best friend! Someone I went to Confession with! The whole thing was sickening.

That's why I'm confused now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
warmi
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i am atheist (my family are all very involved catholics) and my husband is a believer in God (coming from a very strong jehovah witness faithed family). we fell in love, got married, had children and are deeply in love with eachother. we raise our children to be good human beings. we are accepting and respectful of eachoters belief and are leaving our childrens hearts to guide them in what they feel would be right for them as the grow up, be it catholic, evangelical, muslim, buddhist, janes, mormon, witness, atheist, christian, gnostic, humanist, etc etc etc. and yes, atheists have values too :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)