Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

I wanna teach my daughter spanish before english...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 18 Replies

So im puerto rican & df is black. 

My grandparents taught me spanish & I just pretty much picked up english on my own. 

They spoke to me in both languages but focused more on the spanish & I am so proud to say I'm fluent in both languages.

Df thinks I'm crazy but idc I'll be focusing more on spanish with my daughter and teaching her english slowly, I just think it's soo easy to learn english nowadays children pick it up very very quick ! 

I never had any challenges by the time I went to school nor did I need ESL

Opinions?

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ana326
by Ana-Mexicana on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Try it. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbbyCarrera
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I don't speak english very well, so I only speak spanish to my kids, I think it is going to be easier for them to learn english at school that it has been for me to learn it.. I think it is important for kids to know both languages because is part of who they are or where they come from.. plus it could help them in the future to get better jobs..
since your husband speak english, he could speak it to your daughter and you could speak to her in spanish.. I think is a really good idea, beacuse the older they get the hardest is to learn a new language.. so the sooner the better, good luck :)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

JocelynsMommy30
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I didn't know English until I went to school at 5 yrs old. I picked it up very quick! Kids learn really fast!
ProudMommaBear
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this

its proven that children who learn two or more languages do much better un school and have higher test scores and such.  It just makes them smarter all around. I'm in high school and took 3 years of french, I'll be teaching my daughter as much as I know.  My 5yr old cousin is half russian and speaks russian and english fluently, even teaches us some russian too.

mamavalor
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Proper English is very difficult to learn, especially the rules of spelling and grammar.

Nicole.Brown
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I disagree, I learned proper English I mean that's all they teach in school. Plus, I'm a student teacher for an English class (1st grade) and I havent seen a student that learned another language first have any difficulties.

Quoting mamavalor:

Proper English is very difficult to learn, especially the rules of spelling and grammar.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Sigh...if you think proper English is easy to learn, then you don't know proper English.  What most Americans teach, say, and write are mangled versions of proper English. 

Quoting Nicole.Brown:

I disagree, I learned proper English I mean that's all they teach in school. Plus, I'm a student teacher for an English class (1st grade) and I havent seen a student that learned another language first have any difficulties.

Quoting mamavalor:

Nicole.Brown
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Uh, says you. I don't think I'd be given a degree to teach it if I truly didn't know proper English. Not sure what you consider "proper" English but I really don't care.

Quoting mamavalor:

Sigh...if you think proper English is easy to learn, then you don't know proper English.  What most Americans teach, say, and write are mangled versions of proper English. 

Quoting Nicole.Brown:

Quoting mamavalor:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karladiego
by Karla on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Try it, you could do the Spanish part and your hubby could do the English part.

hgibsonorc
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Great idea! I learned in a bilingual linguistic class in college that the best proven way for children to become bilingual is for one parent to speak only one language with the child from birth and the other parent to speak the other. I feel like I'm failing a bit with my children. My husband works so much that it is my responsibility to be teaching the kids Spanish and I although in fluent and do speak to them, I very often slip back into English. They understand Spanish but speak it a little funny...sometimes not conjugating their verbs correctly or other things like that. This summer, I'm going to make a huge effort to only speak Spanish with them. Thank you for reminding me! I want them to be able to speak with my inlaws and visit El Salvador without sounding like little gringitos (although beautiful and wonderful ones :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN