Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever had to deal with a coach who did not know What he/she was doing?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

Poll

Question: Am I over reacting?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 0

This is My daughters second season playing fast pitch softball. She is a natural, not trying to toot her horn but she has skills. I played in college so I know the game pretty well.

Last season we just moved to a new state and began playing at this park. Rec ball starting small for her! The coaches were nice but It didnt seem they knew how to put it all together. I was going to bring her to a new park, and the coaches called me the last day of registration, please bring your daughter back.  Against my best judgement I did. Well she didnt even end up on their team. She ended up on another guys team, who was just interested in playing daddy ball. never coached softball before, his daughter never played, but he said he coached baseball, so I felt he may know the fundamentals of the sport. Wrong

We started his season at the end of Feb, and our girls are only making plays at first base. This is 8 and under softball people. The out field is throwing the ball back to the pitcher and we look a mess.

I tried talking to the coach and offering assistance, after our first scrimmage game the parents were in an up roar, because our girls with the exception of 4 look liked crap. But as a team we looked horrible. So the next practice He was showing a batting technique you do not use in softball. It was for baseball. My daughter has been killing the ball because I taught her the proper way to bat, i didnt want that messed with. So I said no no no dont do that to my daughter, because I had enough. Another parent asked me to watch her daughter because she had to watch her other daughters game, and specifically said dont let her do what he is trying to teach. . any how, as a result girls who had been playing ball for years were now striking out, and the other teams were not even having to make defensive pplays on us.

The next practice he started with the same thing, and I said again, no that is not right. He called me out and in front of everyone and said do you want to run this practice. Why he said that I dont know, because i let him have it.  End result I couldnt watch my daughter play for four of her games, i was suuspended from the park, but the softball commissioner did give him ssome lessons and that nonsense stopped. My daughter continues to excell, but many girls are so confussed when they get up to bat they are turning circles.

So I practice with my daughter, because she wants to on our own 3-4 times a week, and she is learning the fundamentals of the game.. Last night they switched her position, I think to be funny. She never played first before, only pitcher and third. She missed one ball, and actually helped make all the outs. because remember they only know how to make outs at first base. Over spring break we practiced her all over the field, so she is ready, if dont do it who will. Why do I pay for my daughter to play on the team when I have to teach her everything???

What would you do if you had a bad coach?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
KMO777
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I removed my daughter from the team.  Had a coach who never taught the girls anything at practice and pitched the same  girl constantly and she wasn't any good.  Sooooooo we went to a new travel team this year.

~Kelly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)