Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone know...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
Everyone likes to add there input and today I was told that blood type can cause a miscarriage? What type is that she said her first pregnant was anomaly and her Dr told her it usually doesn't happen until after the first and if she gets pregnant she has to have a shot right away can anyone else explain this a little better or is this not true?
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Kaitlynsmom913
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Sounds like she was talking about being RH positive.  I am not sure exactly what all it means, except that the moms blood and the babies blood isn't compatible, i think.  But there is a shot that you can get that helps the baby.

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I think the blood type your talking about is Rh negative but sorry thats about all I know.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

xoNIKKIox
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Rh factors have to do with protein in red blood cells. If a mother is Rh-negative (doesn't have the Rh antigen) but the baby is Rh positive (perhaps inherited from the father), then the mother's body may react as though it is "allergic" to the baby and make antibodies in reaction to the baby's blood antigens (because our blood and our babies' blood often mix). Docs usually screen for this--and, yes, there is a shot, in the event you are Rh negative.

I did a quick search to find some reference info for you. if you'd like a much more in-depth, medical explanation, you can go to:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/rhfactor.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rh-factor/MY01163

Hope this helps!

ritzbit
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM

The Rh- factor is the only one I have heard about.  My mom is o- and had to have a shot after each pregnancy to ensure survival of the next pregnancy.  My daughter was born with - also, so she will need to do that also. 

noliegirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I wondered about this, too, because my blood IS rh negative... But, according to this, it isn't a cause for miscarige: http://miscarriage.about.com/od/miscarriagecauses/f/rh_miscarriage.htm

... but, I still wonder...

mrseckstein
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM

As a lot of other people said could be RH factor but you'd have to ask your doctor for the details because I honestly do not know. I wish I did.

xoNIKKIox
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Yes, definitely speak with your doctor, as mrs. eckstein advises! I'm sorry: I should've noted that I was expanding on what the two PP before me had written. :-)

Quoting mrseckstein:

As a lot of other people said could be RH factor but you'd have to ask your doctor for the details because I honestly do not know. I wish I did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)