Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Metformin?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have any of you taken it or know anything about it?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
xoNIKKIox
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I have never taken it, but I know that it is an oral medication for Type 2 diabetes. It helps with insulin resistance. I know that it has also been used with women who have PCOS to increase chances of conception, though I don't know all the science behind that.

tattooedmom08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I have PCOS and my doctor told me today that if I am not pregnant by May he will put me on it. I just wonder how others felt while on it. I'd like to know all I can before I take it.

xoNIKKIox
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I just did a quick online search and saw that potential side effects include GI problems and problems with vitamin B12 absorption, which can lead to anemia. Some sites also list other potential side effects (like hair loss). And I read that metformin alone may not always be effective in aiding conception in women with PCOS. Another drug may be needed.

Again, this is info I turned up via a quick search. Perhaps you can find more/better info, with more careful searching. And I'm sure your doc can get into specifics, too.

Hope other women can share their experiences, so you have first-hand accounts, as well.

Quoting tattooedmom08:

I have PCOS and my doctor told me today that if I am not pregnant by May he will put me on it. I just wonder how others felt while on it. I'd like to know all I can before I take it.

desperatelyTTC
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM
I took it 3 years ago before I took clomid. I am sorry but I can not even remember what I took it for. Hope someone can help. (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
echupko
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM

No but here is a bump maybe someone else can help, good luck

MrsDacke11
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I have PCOS and was prescribed Metformin in July to help regulate my cycles, they were doing better since I had lost a bit of weight but for some weird reason, on the months we were ttc, it would jack up my cycles completly. So I was put on the Metformin and in the beginning we still used condoms just becuase we were getting married in May and didn't want to reschedule. Well October comes along and we elope. That same day, we stop using condoms, well November I was a week late and was like, "Ok, I'll take a test just because everytime I do, AF shows up'. Well, it was positive but just enough for me to miscarry the next week. I was back on the Metformin after my miscarriage and got pregnant again two weeks after my miscarriage. That turned out to be a blighted ovum but the fact that I got pregnant twice is amazing to me since I had never gotten pregnant before then. I was with my ex for ten years, we never used protection and I never once got pregnant. Now with my husband and the metformin, I've been pregnant twice. I take 500mg a day and at first yes, I had the stomach issues but it was only when I ate fried or sugery foods. After awhile, for me anyways, my body adapts to it and it's not as bad as in the beginning. I hope this helps but if you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

tattooedmom08
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM

That helps alot and thank you hun. That is amazing We've been pregnant without meds but now I am not ovulating so they are trying to figure out why.

hopeandfaith4
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM
I have taken metformin a few times. I have PCOS and it helped get my cycles nomad so I could ovulate I was able to get pregnant with my 3rd child. The only trouble I had with it was upset stomach and hot flashes in the beginning just because it was regulating my hormones. It does help with PCOS, I think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)