Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hpt: digital vs traditional

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
Which one is more sensitive? I was always under the impression that a traditional test was more sensitive since the line coups be very faint and you can't have a very faint "pregnant". A friend is asking and I had no clue. Her period is only a few days late but she thinks she o late and the digital says not prefnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cafe Jenn
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I think they are both similar when it comes to the amout of Hcg they pick up.  If you take apart a digital, you have the same strip you'd have in a conventional HPT.  

Tell her to wait a few more days and try again.

rebekahmuse
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I used the strips until I had actually missed my period, then I used the digital The strips you can see a very faint line even if your levels aren't up to a certain point. I think most digitals register at 20 HCG. I had tests that did at 10.

sah11
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I like the digital. My last pregnancy I got a pregnant 5 days prior to missed period, but I was FELT very pregnant and ended up losing the baby so I think I should have known even then something was wrong.

First response has new check and confirm test.  It has 2 the traditional and follow up with a digital.  I don't like the lines because they are hard to interpret.  Never sure if the faintest of lines is a positive, or if it's under the surface and just gets darker when wet.

Good luck to your friend.

wife2jeff
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Depends on the test.  Go to peeonastick.com and compare the sensitivity of the brands she used.  Most of the time, the digi's are not as sensitive. 

desperatelyTTC
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:50 AM

I really don't know. BUMP

heather406
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM

While they say a traditional test is more sensitive, digis pick up at 50 usually, so by the time your period should be there, I'd say 99% of people will get a positive on a digi if they are pregnant.  It's not as if they require a ridiculously high amount of HCG vs. a traditional.  And as for taking a digi apart to read lines...ALL digis have 2 lines inside, as they read HCG differently than a traditional test, so you shouldn't judge the lines inside a digi at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)