Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible night .......

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM
  • 12 Replies

I just had one of the worst nights ever since i started working in the ER. To start off my night our security guard had someone else cover for him because his 1 week old grandson was flown to pittsburgh because he had 2 batteries stuck in his throat and wasn't able to breathe. The baby's incompitent mother left this newborn alone with her 4 other kids (ages 2-8 yrs old) Pitt Dr's did surgery to remove the batteries and found out that 1 had leaked and burned the baby's windpipe they had to place a trach tube and intubate him also paralize him, and place a feeding tube. The Dr's say it's going to take a long time for him to recover and he's in very critical condition. the mother doesn't work so she has no money and she got upset when the hospital staff told her she had to stay with the baby or someone else had to. Her other kids didn't have anything to eat other than what they recieved at the hospital and her DH was mad that he had to stay with her and the kids in Pitt. I am praying that CPS will do something about that!! After I heard that i steped away into an empty room and i started to cry. I just could believe that had happened to that baby! What kind of parent do you need to be do let that happen to your newborn!!! also apparently the batteries had been in the baby for more than a couple of hours. so tell me how that baby's mom didn't realize that he was not breathing right for a couple of hours before she decided to call an ambulance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WTF!

so then as the night continued on we had a couple patients come complaining of stomach pains and they all turned out to be PG(of course). then later on in the night we had this one lady come in that i used to work with in the outpatient department who i never liked, she was complaining of abdominal pain and said i think i might be PG but don't tell my DH. so we did some test's and yup she is PG so we did a sonogram to check and be sure everything was ok and YUP it was!! then the nurse taking care of her came out to the desk and told our charge RN that the patient told her not to tell her DH and that she was going to abort the PG anyways! OMG!!! are you freaking kidding me!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!!! she was then discharged home and god help that poor baby growing inside her!

I just want to cry, ALOT today!! it was just such a crappy night with all the PG people and those who really shouldn't have more kids cause they can't care for the ones they have already. it just breaks my heart even more to hear about these things going on around me!! I am just completely at a loss for words right now.................. :'-(  What is wrong with people?!?!?  

Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading my vent!

Jessica & Matthew, Together since 2/9/03, Married since 6/30/06, Angel baby # 1 9/4/08, Son Brady born 11/6/09, Angel baby # 2 11/17/10, Angel baby # 3 3/2/11.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I'm sorry :( that is really is a rough night! I can imagine it can be a stressful job. BIG HUGS

by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

theres no rhyme or reason to who can concieve and cant. ((HUGS))

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Bless your heart... It was TRULY coming at you from all directions.. at once! Re: conception and those who are able to be parents.. Simply put, it's not fair. It just isn't. There are people who would be wonderful parents but, physically, can't make it happen. And there are terribly neglectful people who seem to be blessed time and time again with children... I'm sorry that your night was so rough. Pulling for that poor newborn...

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I'm sorry your night was so hard.  I can't believe some of that stuff!  The poor babies!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Wow...don't think I could have handled that. 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I'm sorry you had such a bad night. Those kinds of things tend to tug our heart strings more since we know what a gift a baby is.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Wow, Jess, I'm so sorry you had a rough night. I'm also stunned re: the story of the newborn and batteries. Not only is it irresponsible to leave your newborn under the supervision of children AND not to call for med help when your newborn is showing signs of respiratory problems, but I am also shocked that children would shove two batteries down a baby's throat (after all, a 1 week old can't very well "feed" him-/herself batteries). Disturbing. . . .

by Amy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

((hugs)) sorry you had such a rough night.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM
I'm so sorry hun. Stories like that just make me want to cry because I feel like its just so unfair! Why is it so easy for people who shouldn't have those babies to get pg? I know its just my opinion, but come on! I know so many wonderful couples who would be amazing parents and they can't get pregnant. Just breaks my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Wow, such an emotional time and I am sorry so much happened at one time. I understand the PG thing. My classmate/teammate is PG and due in August and my daughter's soccer coach iis due September 22nd, I was due September is tough to see pregnant women for me; I wish my heart could be 100 percent happy, I am for them, it is just so difficult to have an empty ache inside for myself and my family.Wow, as far as the newborn is considered...that poor baby and siblings; I do hope CPS steps in, that sounds like a very sad situation...My thoughts are with you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)