Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My first follow up doctors appointment after m/c

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Exactly 4 weeks ago today I had my D&C done.  I have my first "follow up" doctors appointment and for some reason I'm terrified to go.  I'm so afraid that when I go in they are going to tell me that I am unable to have kids.  This is just my first loss and I really have no reasons why I wouldn't be able to have any kids in the future.  I'm just really worried.  If you could please just send me words of comfort today. 

Also, we plan on trying again soon.  Pretty much the only question I have for my doctor is When can we try again?  Do you have any other questions that might be good to be asked?

Thanks in advance.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.Meyer
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM

My appointment is today.

LoriAnn87
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM

hugginggood luck today

AlphaTango11
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I had my first follow up appointment at 4 weeks post D&C as well. It's been a couple weeks now, but it was a disappointing appointment in that my doctor had no new answers for me. No answers as to why I had a miscarriage or why my body wasn't able to keep our baby. I wasn't that nervous when I went to my appointment, but it was hard sitting in the waiting room with all the other pregnant women and their newborns and thinking that I used to be 'normal' like them only a few weeks prior. When my doctor walked in, I thought that I would be ok and be able to keep my emotions in place, but as soon as he started talking about the miscarriage I started to cry again. That was the worst part about the appointment - listening to my doctor say that they don't know why I miscarried, that I should expect to have healthy pregnancies again, that I should take as long as I need to grieve, etc. I was a little peeved at the end of the appointment because I was expecting to have another exam or something so he could see that I 'looked ok' down there or something and hopefully have some answers. It was just nothing.

Anyway, my doctor told me that it is best to wait two menstrual cycles before trying to conceive again, just so that the uterus has adequate time to 'thicken up' again. He told me that I should expect my period again within 4-8 weeks from the date of my appointment with him. I started my period four days later after I saw him. I asked him if I would need to have a pap smear or a check-up before TTC again and he said that I could if I wanted to, but he didn't make it sound like I needed to be examined again before getting pregnant.

Good luck at your appointment and keep us updated. ((hugs))

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

((hugs)) good luck hun

Rachelle11503
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Good luck, I hope the appointment went well...let us know how it went!

Jess21608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I have my first appt today as well its at 10 30 for the ultrasound and then I see my doc at 11 15. I just had my miscarriage this weekend..still lightly bleeing from it, no D and C for me. I hope your doctor can reassure us both cause thats one of my fears as well. I just wanna get this done so I can start to heal. This would have been my first baby and my dh and I tried for over 3 years to get to this point. Good luck!

RLeigh35
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Good luck!  I'm sure everything will be fine, but I understand your anxiety.  I had my appt. 2 weeks post-D&C, and I did have a pelvic exam just to make sure my cervix was completely closed, my uterus was back to normal size-wise, and there was no blood still inside.  So, you may want to ask to have an exam for this purpose.  Also, I remember asking about when I'd get my first period, when I could try again (they said after 2 AFs), if they found a reason for the m/c (they did find a chromosomal problem with the baby, but I didn't get those results for another 2 weeks), and if they would do anything special if I got pregnant again in the future (they said to call and be seen right away for early bloodwork and ultrasound).  Not sure if any of this helps.  I know how hard this is.  Sending hugs your way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)