Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Future Pregnancy Concerns

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok let me start off by giving a background. I was 22 weeks pregnant (first pregnancy) and two weeks before I went into labor and lost my baby girl I went to the doctor and they did an extensive u/s and testing. Come to find out from them everything was "normal". Two weeks later I ended up going into labor on a Wednesday, called my doctor on Thursday to let her know what was going on (she advised that it was just normal pains and nothing to worry about), went into the hospital (immediately admitted to L&D) on Friday, was diagnosed as being in labor that same day of course, and had my baby girl Saturday morning at 4:49am. They kept giving me iv's and pills to "try" to stop the contractions, which just made me sick and placed the bed to where I was pretty much laying on my head!!! They flat out told me at the hospital that if my baby was born before 23 weeks there was nothing they could do.....really?? I had her on Saturday and she would have been 23 weeks that following Tuesday!!!

Anyways, when I went back for my checkup two weeks later my doctor had told me that my cervix thinned out and wasn't able to hold her any longer. She told me the next time I got pregnant they would have to go in and insert stitches to help my cervix and I would have to get weekly injections (I believe steroid shots) to help things along. Was wondering if anyone has had to have this before and what it consists of?? And does that mean I will never carry a baby to full term?? HELP PLEASE!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommyofnoah208
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I have not had this happen, but I know a lot of women need to get a cerclage http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cervicalcerclage.html, it does not mean that you can't have a full term baby, many women do. You will probably have to take extra precautions during pregnancy. And I believe they will give your the cerclage around 14 weeks or so?

So sorry you had to experience the loss of your daughter :( thinking of you and hope you are able to get all your answers and a solid plan

marsh48433
by Lisa, Michigan mom on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I am so sorry for your loss!  I've never experienced this nor know of anyone who has!  I am sure you'll find someone here in this group that has had a similar experience. Thinking of you!!!

genabella
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I'm so very sorry for your loss and for all that you've been through. I actually had a friend who went through the same exact situation but lost the babies much earlier, as they were twins. The doctors did everything for her that you described and told her that she would have to take the same measures (shots, stitches, etc) if she were to become pregnant again but they said that it WAS possible for her to carry a baby full term... it would just take a great deal of monitoring and additional measures to make sure that she didn't dilate too early.

Hugs to you!! I totally understand your concerns but know that what has happened does NOT have to happen again. Armed with what you have learned and with a team of attentive/caring doctors/nurses, you can have the baby that you desire.

Hang in there and know that we're here for you!

newmom2be08
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss.  Sounds like your doctor would like you to have a cervical cerclage next time to make sure your cervix stays closed.  The steroid injections...could that mean progesterone injections?  Not sure on that one.   I have heard of women that have low progesterone in early pregnancy taking injectables of progesterone to sustain the pregnancy.  My doctor told me that if that were the case with me, she would put me on injectables during the first trimester.  Hugs to you!!

AinsleesMommy
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Thanks guys for all the advice and support!!! I'm really looking forward to the next pregnancy and I know that it will NEVER take the place of losing my daughter but it's something that I have wanted all my life and just hoping that one day it will all come true and my life will be complete!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)