Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That sucked

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

Oh man....I was at a seminar this morning and the guest speaker was getting everyone involved in the theories of Carl Rogers and the actual self (who you really are) vs. the ideal self (who you would like to be). People were commenting on being friendly saying how it's rude not to smile back at someone even if you don't know them and so i raised my hand suggesting that perhaps some people are undergoing something traumatic and therefore are not living up to their ideal self for good reasons and i said "I lost someone recently so being freindly is not really an option". The guest speaker agreed with me but while saying my statement i started to cry.

Of course, no one there knew of my loss and i did not specify baby in the phrasing but i really thought i could comment without loosing it and there i was sobbing. I quickly exsused myself but seriously? Crying like that in public with everyone staring at me? WTF is that? I am so embarassed and ashamed.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ashleysnicholas
by Ashley on May. 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I'm sorry that sounds like a terrible experience. I had something similar happen but not in a room full of people. Just with one coworker and that sucked too. I am sorry for your loss.

mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on May. 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Try not to feel ashamed or embarrassed. You are hurting and you have every right to be. Thinking of you.

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

That is nothing to be embarrassed and ashamed about! Stuff like that just hits us out of nowhere sometimes and it may not be how we wanted to react but its perfectly normal.

Hugs!

FindingDiamond
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Hugs! It's ok. They probably just realized how deep the loss was to you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iSMILEheCRIES
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hugs and don't be embarrassed honey.   i think we all loose it at strange times.  I'm sure all those people just realized how important that 'person' was to you.  My only public break down was when I found out a coworker was suffering a MC.. I just started crying in front of a few people.  Funny, my male coworker was the only one who knew what to say and do. 

BlackCat7
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your support

alanasmumma
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Don't be afraid to show your feelings. You hurt when you lose someone whether it's a friend, a loved one or a child you've never met- that child was real to you and you have to grieve for your loss. I didn't tell very many people of my pregnancy in Oct but now that I am beginning to heal- I can talk about my mc even with people I work with that didn't know anything about it and not be ashamed of the fact that while I found myself unexpectedly pregnant I had a mc and miss my baby terribly.

suetoo
by Sue on May. 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Ashamed of what? Your baby is forever wrapped around your heart, and the embarrassment will go away, I think you probably brought a needed emotional component to that seminar. For why does anyone smile in the first place?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)