Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

I can't get sleepy...

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM
  • 6 Replies

Since having Hope I cannot sleep.  I get maybe three or four hours a night.  I have tried over the counter sleeping medications, warm tea, hot showers, reading...and nothing works.  I end up falling asleep out of boredom and then wake up when my husband gets home from work.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what have you done to fix things...?  I don't want to try any more medications because I don't want to become dependent...so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks!

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommy2tyana
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM
I'm no help I've always had trouble sleeping :o( but I hope you find something to help you soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I had a lot of trouble as well, doing those things can only do so much :( Sorry they are not working. I would just stick to trying to do the same thing everynight with sleepytime tea, shower. It will probably just take sometime to get back in the swing of sleeping. Hope you get some rest soon.

khoffman2008
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I'm having the same problem. The other night I couldn't sleep at all, I stayed up all night and couldn't fall asleep until 7 in the morning, then I spent the whole day in bed. But sometimes I can make myself fall asleep just by closing my eyes. It doesn't work very often but maybe it'll work better for you than it does for me.

xoNIKKIox
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

It can help to get physically active, as much as you're able (such as walking around your neighborhood or at an air-conditioned mall, if the weather is too warm). I know that can sound weird, because grief makes us tired, but burning off some physical energy helps settle the mind, brings in some endorphins, and makes you more tired so you can sleep. Melatonin pills can help. You can get that at health food and drug stores. A more natural option than sleeping pills.

TeaHound
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I co-slept with all of my kids.  When I had my miscarriage, sleeping with her was one of the things I missed the most.  I'm a really light sleeper and I don't need much sleep anyway, plus, I never have slept all night anyway.  At any rate, when I need to get some sleep, I use valarian root.  I know you said that you didn't want to become dependant and I don't either.  That's why I only use it two nights in a row and then lay off for a night or two.  I use it to train my body into the sarcadian (misspelled, I'm sure) sleep rhythm.  When I'm falling asleep with relative ease at the time I want to on the nights I don't use it, I stop altogether.  It comes in capsule form and in tea form (maybe others, those are the two I've used); Tazo makes a rose tea with valarian root in it.  I don't remember the name of it, but it's in a pink box.

((hugs))

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Sometimes when I lay down and read it make me sleepy okay majority of the time it makes me fall alseep even during the day.  Sometimes I also will try and do something very active like exercise, wii, kinect, or last night was twister and it just exhausted me so much.  Also may sound weird but sex because it tires me out as well when I do most of the leg work so to say (maybe you can try that on your hubby's days off to see if the helps a bit).  Sometimes I find that I kind of need a "jump start" so I can sleep semi normal again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)