Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

**Update**Can you truly experience PPD after a miscarriage? And what meds did you take, if any?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

**UPDATE** The pretty major dosage increase in my anti-depressant from my psychiatrist on Thursday is hopefully starting to kick in already... I had been on it throughout the pregnancy (it's a class B so no bashing, it's supposedly FDA safe) so I didn't think it would take too long to see a difference.  I was also seeing a therapist anyway - so she cried when she heard I'd MC'd again. :(  I will continue to see them both every 2 weeks until I'm stable enough to where I'm comfortable, and I know this will take time.  But I decided to send my DF to his cabin for a few days to take some time for just me & my DD to get back to our usual routine - he took our crazy German Shorthair with him - and so we've just been strolling in the fresh air alot and trying to keep the tv time to a minimum and play games and read books instead.  She should not suffer because I am!!  Thank you all for your kind words and hugs/prayers.... and God bless to all the ladies who've experienced loss of any kind.  We have to stick together. :)

I believe I'm experiencing PPD after this (my 2nd) MC that occurred at 12 weeks - my last was also at 12 weeks and occurred this past December.  Right now I'm 3 weeks out and have absolutely debilitating depression.... however, I'm Bipolar 1 so expected to take a nose dive with this anyway.  I got PPD very bad with my first (and only successful) pregnancy so I was wondering if they consider PPD an actual "diagnosis" from miscarriage and have any of you women who've experienced losses gotten depression THIS bad afterward?  I mean BAD BAD.  Were any specific meds helpful in digging you out of this hole from pregnancy hormones raging all over holy heck like this??  I know I was just in my psych's office yesterday, and we've increased my current anti-depressant to the max dosage... but I was just curious if there was a "miracle drug" for what I'm experiencing right now. :(  I know I know, time and prayer and patience and faith and...... ugh...... God, please take this pain away. :(  Thanks for any/all replies, ladies.

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cindy82
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry. Yes ppd is possible after a miscarriage. But I think it's worse after a miscarriage. U have loss along with the hormones to deal with. Maybe some grief counseling would be a good way to go for u. My son is bipolar 1 too so I understand where u could be right now. Make sure u have someone to talk to. It may help more than u realize. I'm so sorry for your loss. There is no miracle drug to get u thru this. Just determination and time. U have to want to get thru this. (((hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaBoop922
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Im so sorry for your loss and what you are going through.  You can definitely suffer from ppd after a miscarriage.  We have had women in the group get PTSD, major depression, and lots of other issues after their losses.  The best thing you could do is go to a doctor as soon as possible.  You are already suffering from Bipolar disorder so this is probably going to be 10x's worse for you.  Maybe they can help you with some intense counseling and medication.  It will take time and the change will not happen over night but it will be a step in the nice direction.  Just try to take it one day at a time and know that things get better ((HUGS))

CDM516
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You can definitely have PPD after a lose.  And I agree with the other ladies, I think it is worse because not only are your hormones all wacky, but you have suffered a lose.  I have experienced many failed pregnancies although most of them were between 5-6 weeks, the one I had at 12 weeks was extremely hard to cope with not only because of the hormones being higher but also I felt more connected to the little one I actually got to see on ultrasound and hear his heart.  There are no instant fixes to a lose.  I know I used the love of my son that I do have to pull me thru it.  When I felt at my lowest I hugged him and told him how much he meant to me.  You may also want to look into speaking with a grief conselor that specializes in the loss of a child.  Lots of love and prayers!!!!

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I believe you can experience PPD after a loss because it was still a pregnancy.  Depression meds take time to work in your system.  I'm sorry for your losses.  *Hugs*

EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

i'm not sure it's exactly called ppd, but it's a real depression and depression can be treated. speak with your dr asap!!! this is not something you should have to live with and it's not fair to your living child to not seek help for it. there is no miracle drug for this kind of pain. you have to heal. imo counseling may help you more than increasing your meds at this point. or perhaps you have become desensitized to your current meds and need to change it up. either way, talk to your dr and be honest about how bad it is. hugs and good luck.

busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I'm sorry, I have no experience with PPD but I think it is entirely possible to have PPD after a miscarriage. It's primarily brought on by the surges in hormones and that happens after a miscarriage just like it does after a term birth! I don't know of any miracle drugs, but I hope you find something to help you through this incredibly difficult time! Hugs!

surfgrl60
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

No. You could just have depression. It may be because you lots babies, but I doubt its PPD.

mommyofnoah208
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Yes I think its possible, or an type of depression. You suffered a big loss and its hard to cope with. Thinking of you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I'm happy for you that you think the meds are starting to work.  And thats good your seeing a therapst too.  Good for you for getting time for yourself and your DD.  I hope it helps make you feel better.

busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I'm glad to hear that things might already be getting better for you. :) Sounds like you have a good weekend in the works! Hang in there! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN