Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Side Effects of Carrying Unresponsive Fetus

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have this overwhelming fear that my body won't pass the baby on its own. I guess its because I never went into labor on my own, I'm afraid the same thing will happen and I'll be carrying a deceased fetus in my uterus for weeks on end. By all accounts I still feel pregnant. Fatigue, nausea, etc. I would've been 10weeks yesterday.

I'd like to lose the baby naturally, if possible. So if I wait this out, and a month later, I still haven't physically miscarried, does anyone know the effects that will have on my body?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I believe the only problem in waiting is the risk of infection.  So you would want to be aware of the symptoms of infection, bloating, fever, pain, etc. 

When I found out our baby no longer had a heartbeat, he had passed about 2 weeks earlier.  I had no symptoms, but I did have a "feeling" that he had passed.  My Mom asked me what I meant, and I didn't know how to explain it, but I just knew, I had a feeling he wasn't alive.  I had also told my doctor a week earlier, and he basically blew me off, and wouldn't check for fetal heart tones.  So when I was at the doctor, they were asking me if I had bleeding, cramping, or "labor" type symptoms, but I had not.  Nothing at all. 

KenzieQsMommy
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I think 2 weeks is the max I want to wait this out. D&C's are just expensive and the thought that I have to pay for that....well....I'm sorry but that's not fair. I had typical fears of miscarriage. With my DD I fully expected to see blood almost everytime I went to the bathroom. This time I thought it was just the same irrational fear.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. I feel like my healing can't really begin until this process is over.

Quoting Angela4boys:

I believe the only problem in waiting is the risk of infection.  So you would want to be aware of the symptoms of infection, bloating, fever, pain, etc. 

When I found out our baby no longer had a heartbeat, he had passed about 2 weeks earlier.  I had no symptoms, but I did have a "feeling" that he had passed.  My Mom asked me what I meant, and I didn't know how to explain it, but I just knew, I had a feeling he wasn't alive.  I had also told my doctor a week earlier, and he basically blew me off, and wouldn't check for fetal heart tones.  So when I was at the doctor, they were asking me if I had bleeding, cramping, or "labor" type symptoms, but I had not.  Nothing at all. 

Angela4boys
by Angela on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM

That's how I felt too, I just needed closure.  I went in and they started the process to dilate my cervix, then the next morning, inserted 1 cytotec vaginally, about 4 hours in, I started having contractions, and 6 hours in, they put another dose of cytotec in, I hemorhaged and was rushed back for an emergency D&E and several hours later passed out and needed a blood transfusion.  Knowing what I know now about cytotec, I wouldn't have agreed to using it.  Since you have time, I'd research other ways of encouraging your body to let go.  My friend had a Midwife that had her using an herbal cocktail, and her body did naturally deliver at home.  I'm really sorry you are going through this. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I think 2 weeks is the max I want to wait this out. D&C's are just expensive and the thought that I have to pay for that....well....I'm sorry but that's not fair. I had typical fears of miscarriage. With my DD I fully expected to see blood almost everytime I went to the bathroom. This time I thought it was just the same irrational fear.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. I feel like my healing can't really begin until this process is over.

Quoting Angela4boys:

KenzieQsMommy
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thank you. I'll look into herbal ways to jumpstart the process. I've been on cytotech, when I was being induced with DD and I still don't know why they give it to patients. I don;t think I've ever heard a success story with that drug.

As if it wasn't emotional enough, I'm sorry you had to go through so much

Quoting Angela4boys:

That's how I felt too, I just needed closure.  I went in and they started the process to dilate my cervix, then the next morning, inserted 1 cytotec vaginally, about 4 hours in, I started having contractions, and 6 hours in, they put another dose of cytotec in, I hemorhaged and was rushed back for an emergency D&E and several hours later passed out and needed a blood transfusion.  Knowing what I know now about cytotec, I wouldn't have agreed to using it.  Since you have time, I'd research other ways of encouraging your body to let go.  My friend had a Midwife that had her using an herbal coctail, and her body did naturally deliver.  I'm really sorry you are going through this. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting Angela4boys:

4monkeystolove
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I just found out my baby stopped growing at 6 weeks so it has been in me for 5 weeks and still have all the pregnancy symptoms too, no cramping and no bleeding so I will be setting the appointment for a d&c. IM actually sitting in the Dr office right now holding back tears but IM scared of infection.
TeaHound
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM
The only side effect I know of would be infection, but your body actually does a good job of protecting the fetus from infection, so I would think it was less likely than if a truly foreign object were in your body.

I hate it for all of you to have gone through what you gave been and/or are going through!
(((((Hugs)))))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I'm so sorry its gone on for that long :( I just  looked up the teas and stuff. Have you tried any? I think I'm going to go pick some up today

Quoting 4monkeystolove:

I just found out my baby stopped growing at 6 weeks so it has been in me for 5 weeks and still have all the pregnancy symptoms too, no cramping and no bleeding so I will be setting the appointment for a d&c. IM actually sitting in the Dr office right now holding back tears but IM scared of infection.

ml1989
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby quit developing at 6 weeks I had no idea at 9 weeks I started spotting 10 weeks I went to the dr and confirmed the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks and I pass├ęd it naturally at 11 weeks but besides spotting I wouldn't have known till 11 weeks when the bad cramps and heavy bleeding started
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffluv81
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

there is another procedure instead ofd&c. I can't think of the name but at first they given me some meds to contract my uterus, then my doc came the next day and scrapped my uterus and pulled the remaining out to avoid the surgery.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting Angela4boys:

Irene1923
by Tina on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I found out at 8wks I had lost my baby at 6 wks...I chose to miscarry naturally and didn't pass the baby till 12 wks. I was told as long as I didn't develop a fever or other signs of infection I was ok. I was also given the option of medication that would begin the process...I filled it but never took it. *Hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)